IMS Enterprise Suite 2.1 SOAP Gateway: Getting started with synchronous callout to external web services
This example demonstrates how to create and deploy an IMS™ application that calls out to an external web service via IMS Enterprise Suite 2.1 SOAP Gateway.
With IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway Version 2.1, you can configure your IMS applications to call out to external web services. In a synchronous callout interaction, the IMS application issues an ICAL to send a message to the OTMA routing descriptor. That message is then sent through IMS Connect to SOAP Gateway. SOAP Gateway then connects to an external web server, invokes a web service, receives a response message, and passes that message back to the original IMS application.
This sample guides you through the steps to configure a basic synchronous callout request from IMS to an external web service and verify the response message received by IMS. In this guide you will:
- Create web service artifacts with IBM® Rational® Developer for System z® Version 8.0.3
- Deploy artifacts to your SOAP Gateway server
- Configure your SOAP Gateway server to process synchronous callout messages
- Deploy the XML converter for the web service to IMS Connect
- Generate a target web service for the callout message with the Oracle Java™ Development Kit, Apache Ant, and Apache Axis2 tools.
- Deploy the target web service to an Apache Tomcat servlet container.
- Configure an OTMA routing descriptor
- Invoke a simple synchronous callout request from IMS and verify the response message
- IMS Enterprise Suite Version 2.1 SOAP Gateway.
- IMS Version 12 with IMS Connect
- Artifacts listed in Table 1.
- Optional: Tools listed in Table 2. The necessary artifacts generated by these tools are supplied in the sample ZIP file. However, instructions are provided to generate the artifacts for demonstration purposes.
- A web server, application server, or servlet container to host the target web service. This sample uses Apache Tomcat, which is available as a free download.
Table 1: Artifacts
|HELLO.wsdl||Web service definition for the callout service. Provided.|
|HELLO.cpy||COBOL copybook for the callout web service. Provided.|
|HELLOService.aar||Axis2 package for the target web service. Provided.|
|SYCALOUT.cbl||MPP for running an ICAL|
|SYCALOUT.jcl||JCL for compiling the SYCALOUT program.|
|HELLOD.jcl||JCL to compile the HELLOD.cbl converter.|
|HELLO.xml||Correlator XML file. Generated with RDZ 8.0.3. Provided.|
|HELLOD.cbl||XML converter file. Generated with RDZ 8.0.3. Provided.|
Table 2: Tools
|IBM Rational Developer for System z Version 8.0.3 or later.||Tool used to generate web service artifacts and the XML converter driver.|
|Java JDK Version 1.5||Tool used to generate the target web service. Free download.|
|Apache Ant||Tool used to generate the target web service. Free download.|
|Apache AXIS2||Tool used to generate the target web service. Free download.|
Translate this page: