How to use Tivoli Storage Manager FastBack in a Microsoft SQL cluster environment.
How do I configure Tivoli Storage Manager FastBack to backup and recover SQL databases in a cluster environment.?
How to install the FastBack client in a clustered environment:
- Install the FastBack client on each Microsoft cluster node. You will need to restart the machine during the installation process. Install the client on one system at at time to ensure a smooth fail-over and fallback operation.
- Open the FastBack Client Configurator and change the SAN Module Enabled option to Yes. This setting is required for a cluster environment because when nodes are switched, incremental delta block snapshots need to occur.
- Ensure that the disk signatures are different. In a cluster environment, every local disk at each node must have a different disk signature. For example, if disk1 on node1 has the same signature as disk1 on node2, an error might occur.
- Ensure that the Fastback services on the different nodes are not part of a resource group. The Client should be installed and configured on each node separately as a local resource. The SAN enabled flag enables the discovery of the volume on the nodes.
How to backup an SQL database on a Microsoft cluster
- Create a new client group using the FastBack manager GUI. From the active node select the cluster volumes where the SQL databases reside.
- Change one of the passive nodes to active by creating a manual fail-over. After you change to a different active node, you can see in the Snapshots Monitor window that the policy is still running and is backing up the SQL cluster volumes.
Perform these steps to backup a specific named instance:
- Edit the XRSQL.ini.file on the client machine with the specific instance information
- Define a client group that consist of the relevant volumes
- Define a policy to run a pre-snapshot and post-snapshot scripts as follows:
pre : XRSQL_PreConsistencyPoint.bat. This file will use the XR_SQL.ini file as input to the list of named instances that need to be quiesced.
How to restore an SQL database on a Microsoft cluster
Information about how to restore an SQL database is available in the Tivoli Storage Manager FastBack Installation and Users guide and on the information center. Refer to these sections:
- Instant Restore for Microsoft® Cluster Server
- Tivoli Storage Manager FastBack SQL
Useful log files:
These log files are relevant when using Tivoli Storage Manager FastBack on a clustered environment to back up and restore SQL databases:
- Server logs can be found in these locations on the server machine:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Tivoli\TSM\FastBack\server
C:\ProgramData\Tivoli\TSM\FastBack\server (on Microsoft Windows 2008)
- Client logs can be found in these locations on the client machine:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Tivoli\TSM\FastBack\client
C:\ProgramData\Tivoli\TSM\FastBack\client (on Microsoft Windows 2008)
- Script logs are created in the working folder where the pre-snapshot and post-snapshot .bat files are located. These logs will indicate if the scripts were successful and if the backup was successful.
Important: When using Tivoli Storage Manager FastBack in a cluster environment, the following statements of support apply:
- FastBack Client and FastBack Mount are supported in a cluster environment. FastBack Server is not supported in a cluster environment.
- You can restore a Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 volume back up, either snapshot or CDP, taken from an LCR or CCR replica or production volume.
- You can restore a Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 volume back up, either active database copy or passive database copy, taken from a Database Availability Group (DAG) or production volume.
- In a cluster environment, when running bare machine recovery, direct bare machine recovery to a cluster disk, including a quorum disk, is not supported. However, you can remove the disk from the cluster before starting a bare machine recovery. After bare machine recovery is complete, you can return the disk to the cluster.
- Volume restore to a volume on a clustered disk, including a quorum disk, is not supported. In this scenario, FastBack Mount should be used to retrieve data.
- Cluster disks can only be backed up through the LAN.
- Microsoft Exchange 2003 clusters running on Microsoft Windows 2003 are supported.
- Microsoft SQL 2005 clusters running on Microsoft Windows 2008 (64 bit) are supported.
More support for:
Tivoli Storage Manager FastBack
Software version: All Supported Versions
Operating system(s): Windows
Reference #: 1515991
Modified date: 25 September 2011
Translate this page: