After you apply Microsoft® Internet Explorer ActiveX update KB912945 or MS06-013 Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer KB912812, for Microsoft Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, certain ActiveX controls and Java applets within Lotus® QuickPlace® are disabled. You must manually activate these ActiveX controls and applets before you are able to use them. After applying the update, when you hover over certain ActiveX controls and applets, you see "Click to activate and use this control."
For example, when you edit a page and attempt to attach a file or image, you must first click the attachment control, press Spacebar to activate it, and then you can proceed with adding your attachment.
Areas within the product that may be affected are as follows:
- Drag-and-drop file import/export operations
- File import operations done through file attachment dialog box
- Rendering of imported Microsoft Office files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Drag-and-drop file attachment operations, including files for Custom Themes
- File attachment operations done through the attachment dialog box
- Round-trip edits of imported files
- Import Java agent files scene in new PlaceBot
- Members Online window
- Create a placetype
- Create a custom theme
- Create an imported HTML Form
- Choose a logo for place
- Importing graphic Place logos
- The "Members Online" applet when Sametime integration is enabled (member names do not appear until user clicks window to activate the applet)
This issue has been reported to Quality Engineering as SPR# TEDS6N6RZY. The Lotus QuickPlace Quality Engineering team has completed testing to determine the extent of any impact to QuickPlace. As a result, a product change is available for all supported releases, to apply to the QuickPlace server to prevent the issues caused by the new Internet Explorer update. To obtain the product change, apply QuickPlace 7.0 Fix Pack 1. For other QuickPlace versions, contact IBM Support.
In the interim, these temporary workarounds are available:
- Remove update KB912945, using the "Add/Remove Programs" option in the Windows Control Panel, remembering to check the "Show updates" box.
- Prevent application of update KB912945, if you have control over desktop software installations.
- After application of the April cumulative security update MS06-013 (KB912812), apply the Microsoft Compatibility Patch for Mshtml.dll to Internet Explorer.
- Use another supported browser to access QuickPlace, thereby avoiding the changes to ActiveX controls.
Note that QuickPlace must comply with the behavior of the browser in use, and uses ActiveX and Java applets for certain features when working with Internet Explorer. Because the Microsoft Internet Explorer update changes the default behavior for ActiveX controls and Java applets, it impacts QuickPlace in ways that affect its usability.
For more information about this Microsoft update, refer to Article 912945 on the Microsoft Support site at the address below: