Data Collection: Personal Communications EHLLAPI or HACL application problems
If the IBM Personal Communications EHLLAPI or HACL APIs do not function as expected, gather the following information.
When debugging macro problems, you must provide the following items to IBM support:
- A description of the problem and scenario that you used
- A Personal Communications trace of the failure
- The Information Bundler output file
If you have already contacted support, continue to Component-specific Data Collection information. Otherwise, refer to Data Collection: Read first for all WebSphere Application Server products.
Describing the problem and scenario
When describing the problem and scenario, you should include the following information:
- The name of the API for which problem is occurring (for example, EHLLAPI, HACL C++, HACL Automation Objects).
- Details necessary to recreate the problem.
Capturing a Personal Communications trace of the API
The trace captures the entry and exit points in the API. Follow these steps to capture a trace:
- In the Administrative and PD Aids folder, select Trace Facility. Otherwise, from an active session, select Actions > Launch > Trace Facility.
- Increase the size of the trace buffer, to ensure that it is sufficient to capture the needed flows.
- From the main window of the Trace Facility, select Options > Preferences.
- Set the trace buffer size to 4096.
- Click OK.
- Select the appropriate line flow trace, based for the data types shown in this table.
Function Name Component Name Trace Option 3270/5250/VT Emulator API EHLLAPI 3270/5250/VT Emulator Event Keystroke
- Close all Personal Communications sessions.
- Click Start in the Trace Facility window.
- Recreate the problem scenario.
- Click Stop in the Trace Facility window.
- Click Save to save the trace data to your hard disk.
- Click Format to specify a formatted trace file name and format the trace data.
Create the Information Bundler output file
Use the following procedure to create the information bundle:
- From the Administrative and PD Aids folder, click Information Bundler. Otherwise, from an active session, select Actions > Launch > Information Bundler.
- In the Information Bundler window, select the All Keys radio button.
- Click OK.
The Information Bundler output file (X12345.EXE) is created in the Personal Communications system-class application data directory. This file must be submitted to IBM support, so make note of its location when running the Information Bundler.
What to do next?
When you have collected the Data Collection information, submit the diagnostic information to IBM support. See Submitting Diagnostic Information to IBM Technical Support for Problem Determination for specific information.
For Technotes, downloads, and educational materials specific to Personal Communications, see the Personal Communications support site.
Translate this page: