Collect troubleshooting data for abend 878 or 80A problems in CICS TS for z/OS
You are having an abend 878 or an abend 80A problem in CICS Transaction Server for z/OS (CICS TS). You would like to know what documentation you must collect (MustGather) so that the CICS Support team can diagnose your problem. If you gather this documentation before contacting support it will expedite the troubleshooting process, and save you time.
abend878 abends878 abend80A abends80A
There is not enough MVS storage available to satisfy an MVS GETMAIN request. See the explanation of system completion codes 878 and 80A to determine the type of storage being requested. Abend 0F9 and 40D can occur when MVS does not have enough storage to create the dump for the abend 80A or 878.
Resolving the problem
Collect this MustGather data before contacting IBM Support:
Collecting general information for all problems
If you have already contacted IBM Support, you can continue on to the component-specific MustGather information. Otherwise, go to Collect troubleshooting data for CICS products - Read first.
- MVS system dump taken at the point when there is an out of storage condition.
- If you do not have a MVS system dump, set the following SLIP traps to get a SLIP dump of the abend 878 or 80A:
where cicsjob is the name of your CICS job.
- Alternatively, if you see gradual storage growth of MVS storage in the CICS region (excluding CICS DSA storage) you can take an MVS system dump of the region when storage usage is high. Use the MVS command followed by a reply:
R yy,JOBNAME=( cicsjob),
where dumpname is the name you would like to give the dump, yy is the reply id, and cicsjob is the name of your CICS job.
- MVS system trace that is included in the MVS system dump unless your installation has changed the IBM-supplied system tracing options. The trace should be at least 10240K. The failing GETMAIN could affect an innocent party that is not the cause of the storage leak. The large MVS trace should help identify the real culprit.
Optional (MustGather) data:
- CICS message log showing the abend 878 or 80A.
- Review the logs and dumps generated at the point of failure.
- Search the CICS support site for known problems using symptoms like the message number and error codes.
- If you find a fixing PTF, see Ordering CICS products and maintenance for the options that are available to order CICS maintenance.
- Gather the documentation and work with the CICS support team to resolve your problem.
- Using COBOL restricted verbs can cause storage shortages
- Virtual and real storage: performance considerations
- MVS storage maps and subpools
Exchanging data with IBM Support
- See Exchanging information with IBM Technical Support for FTP and email instructions using the IBM Enhanced Customer Data Repository (ECuRep).
- Go to the Service Request page to open or update a problem. If you have a SoftwareXcel enterprise edition for zSeries contract, you can also ask a non-defect installation and usage questions.
Note: Always update your Service Request (problem record) to indicate that data has been sent.
If you need to speak to an IBM technical support representative call your country representative. If you need to speak to an IBM technical support representative in the US, call 1-800-IBM-SERV.
CICS/TS CICS TS CICS Transaction Server