Security Bulletin: Storwize V7000 Unified Fix Available for CIFS Attribute Vulnerability (CVE-2013-0454)
Storwize V7000 Unified includes a version of Samba that is affected by a vulnerability that sets incorrect attributes to a Storwize V7000 Unified CIFS export.
CVE ID: CVE-2013-0454
A flaw in the Samba code for handling attributes of Storwize V7000 Unified CIFS shares is resulting in a serious vulnerability reported against the Samba open-source package.
This vulnerability would allow a remote user, originating from an authenticated connection, to execute operations on a Storwize V7000 Unified CIFS export which are disallowed by the configured attributes of the respective CIFS share.
This vulnerability issue may cause the following security exposures:
- Capability by an authenticated user to write to a Storwize V7000 Unified CIFS export which is configured for read-only access,
- Data access integrity issues where the CIFS attributes ‘oplock’, ‘locking’, ‘coherency’ and/or ‘leases’ are incorrectly set,
- Incorrect setting of other CIFS attributes such as ‘browsable’ and ‘hideundreadable’.
Earlier versions of Storwize V7000 Unified included a vulnerable version of Samba and may be susceptible to an attack that takes advantage of this vulnerability.
CVSS Base Score: 4
CVSS Temporal Score: See http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/80970 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (AV:N/AC:L/Au:S/C:N/I:P/A:N)
- Affected releases: Storwize V7000 Unified 184.108.40.206 through 220.127.116.11, Storwize V7000 Unified 18.104.22.168.
- Releases/systems/configurations NOT affected: Storwize V7000 Unified 22.214.171.124 and above, Storwize V7000 Unified 126.96.36.199 and above.
Vendor Fix(es): The issue was fixed beginning with version Storwize V7000 Unified 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206. Storwize V7000 Unified customers running an earlier Storwize V7000 Unified version (e.g. Storwize V7000 Unified 220.127.116.11 or Storwize V7000 Unified 18.104.22.168) must upgrade to Storwize V7000 Unified 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199 or a later version.
- Complete CVSS Guide
- On-line Calculator V2
- Samba Bug #8738
- 03/18/2013: Original copy published.
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Flash.
Note: According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response."
IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.