SONAS includes a version of Samba that is affected by a vulnerability that sets incorrect attributes to a SONAS CIFS export.
CVE ID: CVE-2013-0454
A flaw in the Samba code for handling attributes of SONAS CIFS shares is resulting in a serious vulnerability reported against the Samba open-source package.
This vulnerability would allow a remote user, originating from an authenticated connection, to execute operations on a SONAS CIFS export which are disallowed by the configured attributes of the respective CIFS share.
This vulnerability issue may cause the following security exposures:
- Capability by an authenticated user to write to a SONAS CIFS export which is configured for read-only access,
- Data access integrity issues where the CIFS attributes ‘oplock’, ‘locking’, ‘coherency’ and/or ‘leases’ are incorrectly set,
- Incorrect setting of other CIFS attributes such as ‘browsable’ and ‘hideundreadable’.
Earlier versions of SONAS included a vulnerable version of Samba and may be susceptible to an attack that takes advantage of this vulnerability.
CVSS Base Score: 4
CVSS Temporal Score: See http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/80970 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (AV:N/AC:L/Au:S/C:N/I:P/A:N)
- Affected releases: SONAS 1.1 through 220.127.116.11-20.
- Releases/systems/configurations NOT affected: SONAS 18.104.22.168-21 and above.
Vendor Fix(es): The issue was fixed beginning with version SONAS 22.214.171.124-21. SONAS customers running an earlier SONAS version (e.g. SONAS 1.2, 1.3.0 or SONAS 1.3.1) must upgrade to SONAS 126.96.36.199-21 or a later version.
- Complete CVSS Guide
- On-line Calculator V2
- Samba Bug #8738
- 04/04/2013: Original copy published.
- 02/11/2014: Restructured the document.
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Flash.
Note: According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.