This accelerator provides extensions for Rational Software Architect, Rational Automation Framework for WebSphere and Tivoli Service Automation Manager to generate deployment automation artifacts from application topologies for building and configuring virtual images with middleware and application components.
Successful deployments are wrought with challenges with many factors that need to be addressed. Application component requirements do not match IT infrastructure deployment requirements. Without a central library of standard templates every deployment has to start from scratch and the outcome is based on the quality and experience of the engineer.
The IBM Deployment Planning and Automation for the Cloud asset allows software architects in development teams and deployment engineers in operations teams to use Rational Software Architect (RSA), with Extensions for Deployment Automation Planning, to create detailed deployment topology models and Rational Asset Manager (RAM) to store them as patterns. Such models are used to generate custom Tivoli Service Automation Manager (TSAM) Service Definitions with Tivoli® Provisioning Manager (TPM) workflows. These service definitions can be requested from a self-service console to provision physical or virtual servers and install middleware to host applications. The models are also used to generate Rational Automation Framework for WebSphere (RAFW) projects for installing applications and configuring middleware components. The resultant end-to-end automation provides a seamless integration between IT infrastructure automation and application deployment steps. This reduces deployment times and potential for errors.
This asset facilitates formalized communications between development and operations teams. It also enables use of standardized parameters for repeatable deployments.
For more information review the IBM Deployment Planning & Automation Presentation
See the IBM Deployment Planning & Automation web page
Automatically build virtual images with installed & configured middleware (WebSphere & DB2) and 3rd party applications using a standardized set of parameters.
- Model application deployment topologies with standard parameters in RSA (with Extension for Deployment Automation Planning)
- Model installation steps with reusable automation signatures
- Generate a workflow model with ordered and input specified steps
- Export image provisioning and middleware installation steps into TSAM and application configuration steps into RAFW.
- Instantiate TSAM service definition to execute an integrated workflow.
To report a problem with downloading this entry, contact the IBM ISM Library Administration.
This package is subject to the terms and conditions displayed upon download.
To report a problem with deploying the download file from this entry, entitled customers may contact the country specific IBM / Tivoli support channel listed at IBM Directory of worldwide contacts.
To open a support request, use the product listed under the "IBM Products integration works with" section of the "Details" tab that indicates the main product the integration works with. Inform the solution integration was downloaded from the ISM Library providing the title of the integration and the related product.
You can also append a comment and rate this item to provide feedback and questions directly to the content submitter. You can also use the forum or community links under the related product resources to reach the IBM Service Management Connect area for the indicated product.
Specific support information for this integration may follow:
Customers can contact IBM Support for this asset only if they have an active support contract for Rational Software Architect 8.0.4 and Tivoli Service Automation Manager 7.2.2.
- Prerequisite IBM software:
- Rational® Software Architect 8.0.4 (RSA) with
- Extension for Deployment Planning
- Extension for Deployment Automation Planning
- (Optionally) IBM Rational Deployment Automation Content Pack for RAFW and WAS
- Rational Asset Manager 184.108.40.206
- Rational Build Forge® 220.127.116.11 optionally with Rational Automation Framework for WebSphere® 3.0
- Tivoli® Service Automation Manager 7.2.2
- Non-IBM software:
- VMware ESX server 4.0 update 2 licenses
- VMware vCenter Server 4.0 update 2
- Windows XP Professional or Windows Server license for VMware vCenter Server