Rational licensing process
Most Rational products require either a license key or an activation kit in order to use them. This requires you to perform additional steps with the Rational tools that you may not have to do with other IBM software products.
Step-by-step process for Academic Initiative members
Follow this process for downloading, installing, and using Rational products.
Step 1: Determine whether the Rational product you want to use requires a license key or an activation kit.
View the list of Rational products by license type, and locate the product you want to install.
Note: Activation kits are no longer included in the Academic Initiative Software Download Catalog with the Rational products. You are now able to download activation kits from the Rational License Key Center.
Step 2: Obtain your license key or activation kit.
Whether the product you want to use requires a license key or an activation kit, follow these steps:
- Request access to the Rational License Key Center by going to the Rational Key Request form and logging in with your Academic Initiative user ID and password. Within 3 days of submitting the form, you will receive an email from email@example.com welcoming you to the Rational License Key Center. The welcome email includes instructions and a password to log into the Rational License Key Center.
- Follow the instructions in the welcome email to log into the Rational License Key Center using your email address and the password provided in the email.
- Follow the instructions for a former Telelogic product, a Rational product
that requires a license activation kit, or a Rational product that requires a
license key. If you are not sure which type your product is, check the list of Rational products by
license type. Those products with an asterisk are former Telelogic products.
- For former Telelogic products, follow the steps in Accessing Telelogic Keys (PDF, 130KB).
- For Rational products that require a license activation kit, select the license activation kit for that product, and follow the prompts. After you download the license activation kit to your system, open the README file contained in the license activation kit for more instructions.
- For Rational products that require license keys, select the license key for that product, and follow the prompts to generate the key. Note that each Rational product requires a separate license key. Therefore, if you want to use multiple products, complete the license key generation process once for each product.