Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-06-06T00:32:26Z by Martha Mealy
Martha Mealy
Martha Mealy
14 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Social Collaboration Business Use Cases

‏2009-04-20T18:06:11Z |
Use this forum topic to share use cases and comment on others people have posted. 
Updated on 2009-06-06T00:32:26Z at 2009-06-06T00:32:26Z by Martha Mealy
  • Martha Mealy
    Martha Mealy
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

IBM's use case - social software and sales prospecting

‏2009-04-20T18:44:38Z  in response to Martha Mealy
    Awhile ago I did some training with one of our sales teams who would be kicking off a sales prospecting effort.  After the training session, one of the sales people, Jeannette Browning, call me over and showed me how she had already started to use the Activities capability of Lotus Connection to manage her prospecting.  Because the process of developing each prospect was relatively similar,  she had constructed a template to keep track of all the different opportunities she was working.  Using the activities,  she could very quickly look at each activity to know when she had talked to the prospect last and when to reach out to them again. She used the integration of Lotus Notes and Activities to store all her emails with prospects within their respective activity.  And she viewed an aggregated list of next actions across her prospects using a sidebar 'to-dos' plug-in for Firefox. 

Using Lotus Connections Activities, she has calculated that the number of hours she spends with clients and prospects has increased by 50%, and the number of client touches has increased between 500-600%!  Best of all, she has helped improve the overall performance of the tele-sales team by sharing this template with her colleagues. 

For more information on how IBM is using social software, read "Getting into social software at IBM"
    Updated on 2009-04-20T18:44:38Z at 2009-04-20T18:44:38Z by Martha Mealy
    • Jeannette Browning
      Jeannette Browning
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

IBM's use case - social software and sales prospecting

‏2009-05-27T22:43:28Z  in response to Martha Mealy
      Since we met, it has really taken off!  I have done many presentations to different sales and sales enablement organizations, and they are spreading the word.  It gets their attention when I say that I can save at a minimum of 1 hour per day in performing my daily tasks.  In addition, it enhances collaboration on our customers and their needs, thus we can focus more on them!
    • Jeannette Browning
      Jeannette Browning
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

New Activity Template for Sales

‏2009-05-27T23:18:23Z  in response to Martha Mealy
      I just posted a template for all to use ...

<customer name>

• Martha Mealy
    Martha Mealy
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Updating and Publshing Marketing Information

‏2009-05-11T18:19:42Z  in response to Martha Mealy
    Each quarter the world wide marketing team at Lotus shares information about new marketing assets out to sales and regional marketing team.  In the past we have used a presentation deck to capture all the information and email to distribute the information.  How 1990's!  My mail file quota just can't tolerate work processes like this.  So how best to use the Lotus Social Software tools to do this?  Here's a plan that I came up with.  I'm sure it is not perfect and will continue to be updated, but nonetheless, I'll share it here.

Updating the information

Previously: Send the deck (all 70+ slides) to each of the WW marketing managers to update.  Each manager would make updates and send back the slides via email to the project lead to aggregate in one deck.  

NOW
    : The project lead creates an activity, adding each member of the WW team to the activity as authors.  She posts last quarter's deck to the activity as reference.  Next she creates individual sections and a to-do for of us to grab our slides from the overall deck, make updates, and post that subset of slides to the our section, notifying her that we have completed our task.

Why an activity?  
    > Because the project is a *short term, pretty discreet task*.  When the information is collected, reviewed and ready to publish out to the intended audience, the activity can be deleted.  
    > BUT! wait, before deleting the activity, I plan to make a template because this update *process is repeating*, takes place each quarter.  We can use the template to create the activity each quarter, refining the process over time.
    > The group of people who contribute to the process is relatively small but very fluid, so the project lead can add and delete members easily as needed.
    > the group needs to work together on the contents of the deck, updating but also reviewing the contents.  Chat transcripts and emails regarding the contents of the deck can be saved to the activity as reference.

Distributing the information

Previously: Send a deck out via email to almost 100 people!  (Oh and deal with all email responses of changing emails and requests to add people to the distribution list as jobs and responsibilities change)

NOW:
    It dawned on me that this is a publication process. DUH. So I plan to create a wiki with the final updated information, using a simple page and table structure to organize the information.  Then, rather than sending out the deck, I'll send out the URL to the wiki.  
    Now my audience will have one place where they can go to get the quarterly information.  They don't have to find a deck in their email or in a local directory on their computer.  They don't have to wonder if they have the latest information.  I can update the information more often and more easily as well.   

Why a wiki?

> Because I'm publishing out approved information to a large audience on a regular basis like a newspaper almost.  I publish, to push the information, to one always available site.
    > because the information is pretty granular and can be naturally organized by topic fitting the structure of the pages of a wiki.
    > because the audience needs one place over time to get the latest information easily.  They can easily pull the information, on demand, whenever they need it.

I'm sure there are improvements that can be made to this process, but it sure seems like a huge improvement over working with a presentation deck and email. 
  • Martha Mealy
    Martha Mealy
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Great webcast with 3 use cases described

‏2009-06-06T00:32:26Z  in response to Martha Mealy
    Take a listen to this webcast where three social software projects are described and some best practices are shared.
            "Invest in Smarter Collaboration - Early Benefits of Enterprise Social Software"

past to presence with social software
    There is a short registration form to fill out before you can listen to the replay (including slides).   The webcast moderated by Jeff Schick includes
    • >  Oliver Young from Forrester Research talking about what factors are driving social software adoption
    • >  Gina Poole, IBM VP of Social Software Programs, talking about IBM's experiences using our own software to drive employee productivity
    • >  Markus Bentele, Rheinmetall AG talking about his experiences using social software integrated with their corporate portal.
    • >  Guy Alvarez, Practising Law Institute, talking about their experiences using social software externally with customers.
    Three factors identified as critical to the success of using social software in the enterprise were 1) having a culture open to change and to using this type of collaboration, 2) having a plan to drive employee acceptance and adoption through training and role-modeling, and 3) having a executive champion who explicitly supports the use of social software to support the business imperatives of the organization.

Listen to the webcast for more details around these 3 use cases.

Updated on 2009-06-06T00:32:26Z at 2009-06-06T00:32:26Z by Martha Mealy