Topic
22 replies Latest Post - ‏2008-06-17T19:07:23Z by George Abercrombie
Tiffany Winman
Tiffany Winman
20 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How can we improve the Pulse conference for 2009?

‏2008-05-14T19:58:18Z |
Share your thoughts with IBM and the community on how we can improve and make the Pulse conference even better in 2009.

If you're not already a community member or signed in, READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST on how to participate in forums and share links with this community.
Updated on 2008-06-19T16:49:00Z at 2008-06-19T16:49:00Z by Tiffany Winman
  • Gerald Beasley
    Gerald Beasley
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

More customer and real world examples

‏2008-05-20T17:29:54Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    More customer  presentations.  More  real world examples  of the  solutions in  action.
  • Rob Traill
    Rob Traill
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Have separeate EU & Americas conferences

‏2008-05-20T18:57:19Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
     Combining Tivoli, Maximo World & Netcool conferences is great, but there should still be 2 per year.  This conference has come off as being a bit impersonal perhaps due to being too many attendees.
    Updated on 2008-05-20T18:57:19Z at 2008-05-20T18:57:19Z by Rob Traill
  • Tiffany Winman
    Tiffany Winman
    20 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Provide complimentary coffee ALL day

‏2008-05-21T14:02:08Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    Wow, everyone at Pulse was constantly looking for coffee and had to go elsewhere to find it. Provide coffee in an easily identifiable spot!
  • Robert Luchene
    Robert Luchene
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Breakout Capacity

‏2008-05-21T17:39:14Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    What?? I paid to enter over filled breakout sessions? So, I was not allowed to enter my preferred session because it was full. Then I was also rejected from my second choice. Not good. It seems that the Availability tracks were mostly in the smaller "Swan" rooms. 
    Updated on 2008-05-21T17:39:14Z at 2008-05-21T17:39:14Z by Robert Luchene
  • Brenda Collins
    Brenda Collins
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Storage Management sessions

‏2008-05-21T18:28:17Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
       There should be more classes relating to TSM and backup environments.  (Best practices , etc.)  There were not many sessions and then you put a couple on at the exact same time, limiting the opportunity to attend.
  • J Keith Morgan
    J Keith Morgan
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

More Power outlets.

‏2008-05-21T20:30:39Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    There needs to be more places set up to plug in your laptop. I had to work a couple of problems from back in my datacenter and it would sometimes take me over 30 minutes to find someplace that I could plug in my power pack because I had already ran my battery down. This was quite inconvenient to me and was the most frustrating thing to happen to me while attending the conference.
  • Bengt Insgård
    Bengt Insgård
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Planning session rooms better

‏2008-05-21T20:42:02Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    Several times the session rooms was full for Service availability and Perf Man.

Earlier TTUC was a little bit more technical then this year, add more technical again......

• Ari Niemi
    Ari Niemi
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Recycling

‏2008-05-21T23:25:03Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    There has been a lot of talk about greener data centers.during the conference. But were those thousands of cans and bottles that we used recycled properly?
  • Armen Pischdotchian
    Armen Pischdotchian
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Feedback from Maximo Technical Gurus

‏2008-05-22T17:17:57Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    Long distances to walk between sessions.
    Water served all day long, everywhere.
    Repeat popular sessions.
    General sessions where too loud.
    More  special gifts/incentives for all speakers  in welcome bag.
    Not enough technical content for Maximo products...more technology, less fluff.
    More lab coverage on greater areas of the product. Somehow need to reach out to other groups and enroll them in creating more labs.
    For example there were only handful of Maximo labs out of dozens.
    Provide mouse for lab laptops.
    Need flat panels for displays in the expo areas...not high-resolution laptop displays that appear very small.
    A positive feedback: "a good fitness center is a wonderful thing."
    For key note speaker we'd like to see Sam Palmisano.
  • Rosalind Radcliffe
    Rosalind Radcliffe
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

A few sugestions

‏2008-05-22T19:01:36Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    Use the counts from the session rooms at this conference to readjust the session room sizes for next time.  In particular the customer sessions and the monitoring sessions were too small rooms.

More time should be allowed following the general session to get to sessions.

The meet the experts room should be better advertised so that everyone understands that the experts are available and where they are available. 

The guru galaxy session should be scheduled clearly and advertised so that dinners are not scheduled against it. 

It would be helpful to provide the presentations on a memory key for all attendees.  This would be a nice gift, and make seeing the presentations much easier.

Consider recording the sessions, either all of them or a select set, so that they can be seen after the conference both to show the value of coming to Pulse for future events, as well as the ability to hear sessions that were missed.

• Denny O'Brien
    Denny O'Brien
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Lunch was difficult for ped owners

‏2008-05-22T20:14:36Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    It would be nice to make lunch available to demo owners prior to the expo opening.  Some pedestals were staffed with only one  person, which made it hard to grab lunch without leaving the ped open for 30 minutes.
    Updated on 2008-05-22T20:14:36Z at 2008-05-22T20:14:36Z by Denny O'Brien
  • Melanie Schuchart
    Melanie Schuchart
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Social Mixer to introduce like communities

‏2008-05-22T20:40:12Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
     I would like to see networking opportunities or socials for the different groups such as what maximo did.. It was hard for like customers to easily meet each other in the hallways... A mixer at the beginning of the conference would have help provide this opportunity.
  • John Sisson
    John Sisson
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Have networking session for users of a particular Tivoli product and other ideas

‏2008-05-27T03:53:30Z  in response to Tiffany Winman

For example, I attended the conference because I work for an ISV using IBM Tivoli Monitoring. 

Finding other users of IBM Tivoli Monitoring for example at the conference would have been by chance and with the number of attendees the chances were low.

Having a web site similar to this where attendees could be easily registered on under the products they use and/or they are interested in would help users find each other (in addition to a networking event).  Having photos of people also helps find people amongst a crowd (these could be submitted optionally by attendees prior to the conference).  There were a few IBM people I had to try to find and it took a while since I didn't know what they looked like.  Also having a list of IBM people at the conference related to each product would be useful.  The web site doesn't need to publish email addresses etc, if people are concerned about privacy, or the size of their mailbox after the conference :-)

• John Sisson
    John Sisson
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

More seats outside conference rooms with good wireless access

‏2008-05-27T03:56:02Z  in response to Tiffany Winman

A number of people commented that it was hard to find an area with seats and good wireless access to check emails etc between sessions.

• John Sisson
    John Sisson
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Record audio for all sessions and make available as downloadable MP3s

‏2008-05-27T04:01:48Z  in response to Tiffany Winman

There were lots of sessions I was interested in but couldn't attend.  The cost of purchasing MP3 recorders for all sessions should easily pay for itself when attendees play the recordings back and play recordings of sessions they couldn't make due to scheduling.

Video would be better, but voice (MP3) should be the minimum.

• John Sisson
    John Sisson
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Send out DVD containing videos of general sessions and product information

‏2008-05-27T04:07:55Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    I would like to be able to view the general sessions again from a DVD, so I can view them any time in the future and prefer it to be on DVD so I can watch them whilst not online (that is usually when I have spare time, such as travelling).  The DVD could also include a softcopy of the thick conference guide (so I don't have to carry it home) product demos, product information files, redbooks etc. 
  • Rosemary Fleming
    Rosemary Fleming
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Presentations available online prior to conference

‏2008-06-01T22:13:41Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    It would be useful to have the presentations available online prior to the conference so that we could take notes on the foils and so we could make a better  decision concerning what sessions to attend.It is quite frustrating that many of my favorite sessions do not have their presentations online, and I was not able to take notes quickly enough, and had expected that the handouts would be available online.
  • David Skeen
    David Skeen
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Coffee all day

‏2008-06-03T21:15:26Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    Please provide coffee all day, at minimum whenever there are sessions.
  • David Skeen
    David Skeen
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Parking

‏2008-06-03T21:22:54Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    The situation for people driving into the conference was quite bad; it turned what had been a 15 min commute at other conferences at the Swan and Dolphin into 45+ min.  Let attendees know ahead of time if there will be parking restrictions; most of us staying off campus were blind-sided by the problem.
  • matt Elston
    matt Elston
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

coffee

‏2008-06-06T19:23:58Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    I second David on the coffee idea :).  Also being able to listen to sessions that I didn't have time for in mp3 format would have been very valuable

Matt Elston -- HealthTrans
  • George Abercrombie
    George Abercrombie
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Breakout Session Descriptions Online

‏2008-06-17T18:52:08Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    It would have been helpful if the Pulse website had descriptions of each breakout session so people could plan their week. All that it said was Breakout Session I, Breakout Session II, etc... 
  • George Abercrombie
    George Abercrombie
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Untitled

‏2008-06-17T19:07:23Z  in response to Tiffany Winman
    I had a lot of Maximo functionality questions and couldn't find anyone who could answer them. Every time I asked someone a question, I was either directed to someone else (who couldn't answer my question) or asked to fill out a feedback form so that someone could contact me later. I found myself filling out a lot of feedback forms.