With more than 90% of decision makers trending to cloud implementation to drive improved business outcomes, it is important to understand the key challenges organizations face when considering Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) in the cloud including:
- How to leverage cloud storage as a storage tier for TSM
- Moving data into more cost effective architecture while improving recovery
A recent survey was completed to understand how users plan to use TSM in the next three years. The trend indicates that pool usage for primary storage are -- 1). TSM dedup and 2). tier with #5 being identified as cloud. Cloud as #5! The projected growth for XaaS (anything as a service) will definitely have an impact for survey results in te next few years.
Another survey provided a view of the trend for disaster recovery (DR) pool usage over the next three years as follows: 1). TSM replication 39% (tape usage decreased); 2). Node replication increase 30%; 3). Copy storage pool backups to cloud increased to 32%.
Thus, to understand the true value that Data Protection as a Service can provide -- e.g. Xaas [BaaS, DRaas, AaaS, Iaas] the consideration includes:
- Partner ecosystem -- build upon open interfaces
- Transmission of data to cloud -- be selective about data that goes to the cloud
- Security -- encryption in flight / at rest
- Economics -- in house TSM, likely cost less
The aspects of cloud data protection solution can be summarized as:
- Service Model -- services offered; managed by customer, IBM or 3rd Party
- Delivery Model -- private, public, hybrid cloud
- Protect Environment -- VMware, HyperV, VMware vCloud Director, OpenStack
- SoftLayer Constraints -- SoftLayer cloud storage: SoftLayer hosting TSM services; protecting data hosted in SoftLayer
- Enabling Technologies -- self-serve portal / billing / Service Engage; blueprint / appliances; data reduction / deduplication / compression; security encryption; cloud storage cloud gateway; virtualization support; disaster recovery.
Finally, there are various object storage use cases for TSM cloud currently available including:
- Low-cost storage tier (tape replacement)
- Repository for storage pool and data backup
- Object storage replication for DR
- Storage pool for server hosted SoftLayer
Note: Currently, a cloud gateway is required for TSM to use cloud object storage.
To learn more about TSM and the Cloud, please feel free to reach out. The Technical Edge deck can be provided by an IBM SME.
Global Program Director
iBM Software Group