Cost of backup can be reduced up to 40% with an effective archive solution
At last week’s IBM Information Management on Demand (IOD) event in Las Vegas, Michael Barton (Product Marketing Manager, IBM Tivoli Storage Software) presented “All-in-One file archiving with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery –Archive Option.” IOD was attended by more than 12000 attendees and kicked off on October 21 with the General Session featuring analytics and big data, and continuing all week with keynote sessions on Business leadership, Information management, Business analytics and Enterprise content management.
Tivoli Storage was front and center at IOD with both Michael Barton’s TSM SUR – Archive presentation, as well as presence in the IBM booth focused on IBM SmartCloud Virtual Storage Center’s storage analytics engine and capabilities.
Key insights into Mike’s presentation:
- One of the analyst said 40 percent of the planet’s data should be archived, or moved out of the production environment. That seems reasonable. Applications simply run better with less data to manage.
- Using a backup system for archiving can off-load production systems, but can cause bloat in the backup environment, and make your data harder to find.
- With the rapid growth of unstructured file data, the benefits of an effective file archiving solution are becoming more apparent. Bloated file servers and NAS systems can impact productivity for users, administrators and backup processes. Archiving can reduce requirements for power, cooling and floor space.
- Industry analysts estimate the cost of backup can be reduced up to 40% with an effective archive solution. IBM's approach to file archiving implements policy-based tiered storage, so large numbers of files can be managed effectively.
Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery (TSM SUR) Archive solution enables a simple, scalable solution that can significantly reduce costs for file storage. This solution supports information lifecycle management for efficient, long-term data retention
Want to know how you can save money using Tivoli for Archive?
• Reduces the space required for archive data up to 50%, using deduplication and compression
• Enables migration of archived data between storage tiers and storage systems without disrupting users or applications
o Easier to retire old systems
o Supports decades-long retention times
• Expands without complexity, using policy-based administration