In my earlier postings on the topic of Unified Recovery Management (sorry for being away for so long), I laid out in excruciating
detail the complexity that is facing today’s backup administrators: many different applications, on different hardware/OS platforms,
in different locations, with different recovery point and recovery time objectives (RPO & RTO) to meet the operational requirements
of the organization.
In the last entry, I covered some of the many technologies that are available and widely used to address different aspects of this
complex issue. At the heart of the problem is, can any one backup administrator really have true visibility and control of the
entire data protection and recovery process when there are so many solutions and interfaces used.
IBM Software has been working for several years to address this challenge by bringing our various data protection software products
under the control of a single management interface, which is also common with many other IBM Tivoli software products.
The goals of this development initiative are: to manage the entire data protection and recovery infrastructure from a single
administrative interface; to unify the management of data within an integrated portfolio: and to understand where all the recovery
points are, manage them efficiently, and provide the interfaces to recover whatever data is needed, where ever it resides.
This interface is called the Tivoli Integrated Portal (TIP), and from it you can launch, monitor and manage the various Tivoli
Storage data protection and recovery software products:
- Tivoli Storage Manager: The leader in enterprise-wide data protection, unified recovery management and effective data reduction; supporting hundreds of devices and operating platforms with many application-specific connectors
- Tivoli Storage Manager FastBack: Advanced continuous data protection and near-instant recovery software solution for business critical Windows and Linux servers, remote offices and small- to mid-sized enterprises
- Tivoli Storage Manager FastBack for Workstations: Automated, continuous data protection and recovery software solution for desktop and laptop computers, with central management for thousands of systems
- Tivoli Storage FlashCopy Manager: Performs and manage frequent, near-instant, non-disruptive, application-aware backups and restores, leveraging advanced FlashCopy snapshot technologies in IBM storage systems
simplifying management tasks.
A unified Recovery Management approach, such as offered by IBM, can:
- Reduce your costs through the use of fewer tools to license & manage and simplified administration, which will enable greater investments in the business
- Eliminate risks by having fewer ‘moving parts’, which enables faster, more reliable backup & recovery Improve service levels by meeting external and internal customer SLAs, which will improve your organizations competitiveness
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions."