In December of last year, I blogged about IBM Tivoli Storage FlashCopy Manager for Windows version 2.1. I talked about how FlashCopy Manager provides fast application-aware backups and restores leveraging advanced snapshot technologies. I also discussed how FlashCopy Manager on Windows supports Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Exchange Server using Microsoft's Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) and how it integrates into your enterprise whether you have Tivoli Storage Manager or not. So, if you haven't read my previous blog about FlashCopy Manager on Windows, why not check that out first, then come back to learn more about the new features we just announced!
This Friday, June 4, 2010, IBM will release IBM Tivoli Storage FlashCopy Manager Version 2.2. Some of the exciting new Windows features in this release include:
- Support for Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
- Support for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
- Performance improvements for Microsoft Exchange Server mailbox history and mailbox restore operations
- Performance improvements for large Microsoft SQL Server environments
- Enhanced integration with SAN Volume Controller via enablement of VSS Instant Restore when there are multiple backup generations on space efficient target volumes
Did you know? FlashCopy Manager also supports UNIX platforms! Some of the exciting new UNIX features included in FlashCopy Manager Version 2.2 are:
- Support for Linux x64 and Solaris SPARC operating systems
- Database cloning support
- Enhanced integration with SAN Volume Controller via automatic detection of deleted snapshots
- A customizable agent that enables you to back up applications not directly supported by the product
For more details, read the IBM Tivoli Storage FlashCopy Manager Version 2.2 announcement.
General information about IBM Tivoli Storage FlashCopy Manager is located here.