In my earlier post – Eliminate management inefficiencies and complexities associated with your cloud foray
– I briefly touched upon ‘storage tiering reports’. Now these reports are available as part of Tivoli Storage Productivity Center v4.2.2 announcement this week. In one of the latest Storage Wave studies by The InfoPro, it points out to ‘Tiered Storage Build Out’ as one of the top 3 initiatives among storage managers. Yet in a complex, virtualized environment, having complete visibility and control over storage tiering can be challenging.
Tivoli Storage Productivity Center provides capabilities for reporting on storage tiering activity to support data placement and to optimize resource utilization in a virtualized environment. The storage tiering reports leverage the estimated capability and actual performance data for IBM SAN Volume Controller
and IBM Storwize V7000
, and offers storage administrators with key insights such as:
• Are the backend subsystems optimally utilized
• Does moving a certain workload to low cost storage impact service levels
• How to level out performance in a certain pool
• Which data groups can be moved to an alternate tier of storage
Image: Sample tiering distribution report
By having a comprehensive view of performance stress on the hardware, storage tiering reports enable administrators to make proactive decisions about volume placement, thus averting any downtime or impact on the data availability.
Tivoli Storage Productivity Center enables storage administrators to optimize disk configurations, such as by progressively and dynamically changing storage tier percentage distributions between high-end, mid-range and low-end storage. For example, an initial 70/30/0 split can be changed to a new distribution of 30/50/20, enabling the organization to realize the corresponding storage infrastructure savings.
To read more about Tivoli Storage Productivity Center, click here
What’s new in Tivoli Storage Productivity Center?
IBM announces Tivoli Storage Productivity Center Select
- a comprehensive storage management software that offers advanced provisioning, performance management, capacity optimization and reporting capabilities. Select includes all key capabilities of Basic Edition, Disk and Data modules of Tivoli Storage Productivity Center family, and is conveniently packaged for ‘per enclosure’ licensing.
Select complements Tivoli Storage Productivity Center for Disk Select
(formerly Disk Midrange Edition) and is ideal for management of IBM XIV
, Storwize V7000, DS3000, DS4000, DS5000 as stand-alone devices or when attached to an SAN Volume Controller. Select also supports any device that is attached to Storwize V7000.
Learn more about Select
. Download Select data sheet