|System z on Facebook
Client focus: BCBSKS cuts mainframe software costs with IBM
Pratin Ashtekar 2700046SAG firstname.lastname@example.org | | Tags:  system_z_software economics z/os zenterprise | 1,064 Visits
By Carol Marting,
With the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) signed into law, large health insurers need to spend at least 85% of premiums on health costs and claims. That leaves just 15% for administrative costs – so it should come as no surprise that efficiency is now a watchword for the industry.
Like other large insurers, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas (BCBSKS) wanted to make itself even leaner and more cost-efficient – while maintaining the same excellent level of service that its customers had come expect.
After reviewing operating costs for the tools and utilities that support its critical claims processing and membership systems, the company saw an opportunity to rationalize the software landscape for its IBM zEnterprise 196 server.
BCBSKS worked with the IBM Software Migration Project Office to replace its mainframe software portfolio with the latest IBM z/OS features and a suite of IBM Tivoli and WebSphere solutions – delivering core functionalities for hierarchical storage management, job scheduling, security management and reporting at a cost-efficient price point. Thanks to the IBM solution, BCBSKS has reduced its IT operational costs – freeing up additional funds for investment in the provision of healthcare for its members.
To dive deeper into BCBSKS’ initiative to rationalize its software landscape, check out the IBM case study at: https://ibm.biz/Bdx6Pu