By Femke Goedhart
Getting in the mood for Lotusphere?! Getting confused yet about the Lingo?
I did, my first year. I heard all these terms I’d never heard before and kept wondering what everybody was talking about. So to help you play the part of a seasoned ‘Lotuspherian’ I composed a list of terminology you might hear this week. Use it wisely!
- “OGS”: Opening General Session: THE moment where all the great new and exciting stuff will be announced and the official opening of Lotusphere 2012. Don’t be late or you might have to stand in the back!
- “Swolphin”: A combination of the names of the two hotels where it’s all held (eg. Swan & Dolphin. They are apart but connected through a pathway. Allow for at least 5-10 min to get from one to the other (more if you come from breakfast!).
- “The Fountain”: Yes it could be a fountain, there are at least three if not more dotted in and around the hotels but it could also be the ice cream shop down the escalators. In general though it’s used to describe the fountain in the Dolphin lobby where it is one of the most recognizable meeting points at Lotusphere and a hotspot to get to know new people.
- “Labs”: Kindergarten for the developers and usability experts. Rooms filled with PC’s where you get to play with all your IBM Developer friends and see and talk to them about what they’ve been crafting this year! Now, play nice!
- “Badge”: The thing that will never leave your neck for a week. It is the official entrance ticket and losing it means losing access so be careful with it! Also a place to collect buttons (some flashing), pins and other paraphernalia that is handed out on the Showcase floor.
- “Showcase”: Large area with pedestals where sponsors get to show you what they’ve got. A good place to check things out, talk to people and to collect buttons, pins and paraphernalia to make your badge look like a Christmas tree.
- “The Boardwalk”: Area with bars & restaurants next to the Swan & Dolphin hotel. Ideally located for those that stumble back to their rooms after a night of catching up with fellow yellow folks.
- “BOF”: Birds of a Feather sessions. Sessions that are more informal then normal sessions and where participation (discussions) is expected from the audience. A great way to discuss things with like-minded people. These BOF’s are however usually very early or late in the day so keep that in mind while planning.
- “Kimono’s”: Sushi bar in the Swan hotel. Notorious hangout for Yellow tweeps. Be careful though it’s a Karaoke bar too and coming means…
- “SNT” (Show and Tell): Technical sessions where the speaker will go through a technology or action step by step. Highly detailed, these sessions are great if you want to get some in depth knowledge. They tend to be longer than normal sessions because of the level of details.
- “Social Cafes”: Area with interactive setups where you can talk about anything ‘social’, get help figuring out how things work and meet up with Team Social. They will not be offended if you ask or say hi, they will be offended if you DON’T ask or say hi. So don’t hesitate!
- “Pretzelcookie”: Well…. If you haven’t been to Lotusphere before then don’t miss out on this staple ingredient in last days lunch box…. Hard to describe but let’s just keep it at: “It’s a love or hate thing”.
- “NerdGirls”: A network of ladies from the Lotus community that came together at Lotusphere 2009 and has done so ever since to hosts events and sessions. This year they organize the “Great Geek Challenge” and the Nerd101: Sparks session. No, not just for girls! Guys are just as welcome and it’s always good fun.
- “Speedgeeking”: high energy session where you get lots of great information in 5 minute bursts as you move around the room in small groups from speaker to speaker (who do their best to cram it all in in 5 minutes!). Great way to learn a lot in a relatively short time and a fun experience.
- “ESPN” / “BALD” / “Blogger Open”: Just some of the socials events going on around Lotusphere. ESPN, the Boardwalk bar where the Turtle group hosts their annual party on the night before Lotusphere, BALD; The Bloggers (and friends) Annual Lotusphere Dinner also on the Saturday before Lotusphere and the Blogger open, a mini golf tournament right after the CGS. There are loads more and best way to find out about them is to follow the Twitter streams or ask around. Didn’t get the invite? Well, nobody did, this is Lotusphere, it’s all about social so consider yourself invited!
- “GuruPalooza”: One of the last sessions of Lotusphere where all the Best Practice track speakers sit on the stage one more time and answer questions from the audience; firing squad style…. Not that we want to shoot them! Oh no!, They bring us all their knowledge and this is the last chance to ask that one question you didn’t get to ask all week. So give them some love (and your toughest questions that didn’t get answered yet).
- “CGS”: Closing General Session: The end…, fini…, bye bye…. last session of Lotusphere before heading off back into the real world. This year there will be a cook on stage. What that has to do with an IT conference? Not sure, but I’m sure it will become clear during the session so don’t miss it!
And last but not least…..
- “#LS12”: THE Lotusphere Hashtag used by all attendees (and everyone who wants to be there) to refer to the conference. Also The hashtag that will be used for broadcasting all those tweets on the screens in the hallways. Use it, follow it and if you have no clue what a hashtag or twitter is then come over to one of the Social Cafes and ask.
Enjoy your Lotusphere!
Femke Goedhart is a Business Consultant for Silverside, a premier business partner from The Netherlands. She specializes in document management, collaboration and social business; is an avid blogger; and a speaker at several events including NLLUG, LCTY & Lotusphere. Femke is actively involved in the online community and was recently honored as an IBM Champion. She is also a published Redbook author and is a contagious enthusiast about all things social.