Printing - who doesn't have a love/hate relationship with it? When it works smoothly, you think nothing of it. When it doesn't, there's nothing more complex and frustrating! I should know, since I wrote help and books about AFP printing for three years; and in that time I didn't learn a third of what there is to know!
So our goal at IBM® Smart Business is to stay on the side of "things are going smoothly", by auto-discovering and monitoring printers. And when things to slide into that "not so smooth" side, we're there to help you figure out what's going on.
First, when you plug in a supported printer to a configured IBM Smart Cube, it is auto-discovered and configured. Not sure if your printer is supported? Look at this IBM Smart Market document: Printers that work with IBM Smart Business. If your printer isn't auto-configured, IBM Smart Market has instructions to help you set it up manually.
Printing to the printer from the workstation is a simple procedure as well. The next time a user accesses the Smart Cube where the printer is installed, it is automatically discovered and installed on their workstation. That's it!
If the printer is not automatically discovered and installed, the user needs to run the Printer Setup Utility. From the IBM Smart Business Launch folder, double-click Printer Setup Utility. It looks for printers and installs them on the workstation.
The Smart Cube monitors the print service to make sure everything is running smoothly. If it's not working properly, its status in the Administrator Panel is changed appropriately, and a message is added to the Message Center if necessary. Open the print service on the Administrator Panel to investigate any problems.
So that's all there is to IBM Smart Business printing. We made print easy, so hopefully, you'll always love it!
Share your thoughts — add your comment to this posting. (You must be logged in to comment; to log in, click "log in" at the top of this page.)
- IBM Smart Market: More than a mall (posted on: 18 Sept 2009)
- Power outages and lightning and flooding - oh my! (Posted on: 14 Sept 2009)
- Hello...is anyone there? (Posted on: 4 Sept 2009)
- Wiki? Is that a new kids' show? (Posted on: 28 Aug 2009)
- Video time! (Posted on: 14 Aug 2009)
- When good workstations go bad (Posted on: 31 July 2009)
- Would you believe it? A simplified user experience... (Posted on: 24 July 2009)
- The old "set up users" trick (Posted on: 17 July 2009)
- Fight chaos - Keep that information (Posted on: 10 July 2009)
- A new introduction (Posted on: 26 June 2009)