Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerful than a locomotive.
Able to deliver performance improvements by as much as 41 percent.
Look! In the IT department!
It’s a server! It’s a highly scalable platform for business intelligence!
It’s IBM Cognos BI v 10.1.1 on IBM POWER7!
IBM recently conducted tests in its labs that revealed IBM Cognos BI v 10.1.1 to be at least on par and better by 14 to 46 percent when compared to Microsoft Windows 2008 Server.
IBM Cognos BI application performance between similarly configured IBM POWER6 and IBM POWER7 systems showed significant performance advantages for IBM POWER7 servers.
IBM conducted a variety of tests to match the different ways of using IBM Cognos Business Intelligence services and system resources. The test systems used similar server configurations and current processor generation. Download the free report here.
Other findings included:
· Performance improvements of as much as 41 percent for workloads such as running HTML and PDF-based reports and portal navigation
· Performance improvements of as much as 26 percent for workloads such as running large and highly formatted PDF reports, locally processed calculations, interactive analysis activities and complex queries mixed with lighter workloads
· Up to 35% faster cube builds with IBM Cognos TM1 (IBM Cognos in-memory OLAP)
· Up to 40% better on POWER7 over POWER6
IBM Power Systems servers are designed to run mission-critical applications in highly virtualized, consolidated operating environments.
Companies deploying IBM Cognos Business Intelligence and other business analytics workloads can benefit from the advanced Power Systems virtualization features that enable systems management flexibility.
For example, an IBM customer had developed a Cognos Business Intelligence application to distribute PDF based reports by email; as implemented and before optimization this application was performing at a rate of 11 multi-page reports per minute.
After the customer applied recommended AIX tuning parameters, the application performance improved to 150 multi-page PDF reports per minute.
On average, most applications might see performance improve two or three fold by applying AIX level tuning.
To provide a comprehensive view of the potential performance impact of optimizations made in Cognos Business Intelligence v 10.1.1, IBM used a broad range of tests. See the graphic that lists the performance improvements for the 20 different tests used.
For more information:
· Download the whitepaper, “Best Practices and Advantages of IBM Power Systems for Running IBM Cognos Business Intelligence,” to see the full performance results.
NOTE: Performance is based on measurements and projections using standard IBM benchmarks in a controlled environment. The actual throughput or performance that any user will experience will vary depending upon many factors.