IBM Cognos Business Intelligence customers have had their existing licenses migrated to a new, simplified licensing model at no additional license cost. Effective as of Tuesday, July 29th, customers in Passport Advantage can take advantage immediately of new capabilities with new roles as shown in Figure 1.
So why did we make this change and what’s in it for you, our customers?
More Value and Capabilities
First, this new licensing model offers you and your users more capabilities. As each user is transferred to their new role, they will receive additional capabilities that they did not have previously.
• Analytics Users are line of business users or knowledge workers. This person wants to be able to consume and create insights that can support decision making, and share these insights with others in their organization.
• Analytics Explorers are business analyst or savvy business user that wants to leverage corporate data, but also be able to do data modeling without help from IT. We also added Cognos Analysis for Excel to this user license, which can be used to conduct analysis on Business Intelligence and Cognos TM1 directly in Excel.
• The Administrator or IT person has full administration, deployment and performance tuning capabilities plus all the capabilities of the Analytics explorer. We’ve also included the SDK with this license, so they can embed analytics into applications they develop more easily.
• Information distribution is a server add-on that provides Scheduled Reports, Active Reports and our BI App. This is valuable for those organizations looking to distribute content to large groups of individuals who do not require deep analytic capabilities. With the growing Mobile trend, we recognize that it’s now a base capability for organizations.
Figure 2: Licensing role capabilities and benefits
Lower Cost of Ownership
Second, you will get all of this extra value and capabilities for a lower overall cost of ownership. Offering “Analytics to everyone” is a corporate priority for many organizations. Breaking down this cost barrier, will make it easier for you to expand Business Intelligence to other user groups and departments within your organization.
From an IT and Administrator perspective, this new licensing model is easier to understand, easier to manage, and easier to roll out to new users. In addition, each license applies to a number of job roles within your organization. For example, an “analytics user” license would be suitable for your information workers, customers, partners, and suppliers; and an “analytics explorer” license would be suitable for any business, operations, or financial analyst.
Entitlements in Passport Advantage will be automatically transferred to their new software license, as outlined earlier in this blog.
Here are some more details on the software license transfer process:
• It is referred to as a product evolution
• Roles will be automatically adjusted in systems one for one to their new entitlement
• Subscription and support costs must be current for the evolution to take place
• Roles that are not automatically moved can be discussed with your IBM BA sales representative
Forward Looking Business Intelligence
And finally, you have the option of adding predictive to your current BI solution. As a product manager for IBM Cognos Business Intelligence, I have the pleasure of working with many customers that use our products in very innovative ways. Increasingly, customers are looking at more than just historical data. They are beginning to use predictive analytics to gain a glimpse into the future, offering a more complete picture of their organization and the market they operate in. We want to ensure our customers have the best tools possible to be leaders in their markets. It is for this reason that on July 22nd, 2014, we announced our new solution Forward Looking Business Intelligence, which can be added to your current BI solution with a Forward Looking Analytics Architect license.
Forward Looking Business Intelligence is a centralized self-service information analysis solution that combines capabilities from IBM Cognos Business Intelligence, IBM SPSS Modeler, IBM Cognos Analytics Server (ICAS), and IBM Cognos Analysis for Microsoft Excel (CAFE). SPSS Modeler provides assistance for users building predictive models through the use of automated modeling, so users can quickly start to include predictive data in their reports and dashboards. Cognos Analytics Server, which drives TM1, allows users to evaluate plans prior to their implementations. So not only can a customer identify an opportunity using predictive data but they can also optimize their plan to capitalize on that opportunity.
Download some of the sample Active Reports on AnalyticsZone.com to see examples of the new capabilities your users can leverage.
Upgrade to Cognos Business Intelligence 10.2.1 so you can take advantage of the latest capabilities
Register for IBM Insight 2014, October 26 – 30 in Las Vegas, Nevada and attend sessions on Forward Looking Business Intelligence.