IBM FastSetup is an innovative software tool, complete with a graphical user interface, which automates discovery, setup and configuration of servers in test and production environments.
FastSetup provides significant cost savings by reducing hands-on server setup time from days to minutes for large deployments. Users can create mass deployments of firmware updates on IBM System x3550 M4 and x3650 M4 System x rack servers, Flex System compute nodes, and BladeCenter servers – all powered by the latest Intel Xeon E5 and E7 processors. The tool includes features to make the setup process as simple and fast as possible, including automation templates made easy for mass deployments, an easy process to push configuration settings, integrated help for dialog panels, and globalization enablement into 9 additional languages.
FastSetup 2.0 was released in December and supports the following servers and chassis:
- IBM System x3550 M4 and x3650 M4 rack mount servers
- IBM Flex System Enterprise Chassis (including CMM and I/O modules)
- IBM Flex System x220, x240, and x440 compute nodes
- IBM BladeCenter H chassis (including AMM and I/O modules)
- IBM BladeCenter HS23, HS22, HS22V, HS23E, and HX5 servers
IBM FastSetup runs on Windows laptops or management servers. Better yet, it is provided at no charge for IBM customers and partners, when used on IBM x86 servers.
FastSetup 2.0 includes the following new tasks:
- Setup wizard to collect inventory, update firmware, set configuration parameters
- Create a template of firmware levels and parameters to be deployed to other servers or I/O modules of the same type
- Configure AMM (BladeCenter H only)
- Download firmware to a local repository for later use
The system running FastSetup 2.0 does need to be able to connect to the target systems via the network, but they don’t need to be on the same subnet.
Please see the README on the FastSetup 2.0 download page for a complete list of supported systems.
For other free, easy to use System x server tools, go to the IBM ToolsCenter home page.
Tip: For the x3650 M4 and x3550 M4, the IBM Integrated Management Module Advanced Upgrade (90Y3901) must be installed. This is a Features on Demand upgrade.
David Watts is an IBM Redbooks Project Leader. He writes books and papers on many areas related to IBM Flex System, IBM BladeCenter and IBM System x. Follow David on Twitter at @DavidAtRedbooks.