z/VSE 4.3 is now announced
The planned availability date for z/VSE 4.3 is November 26, 2010.
And a new Statement of Direction has been issued as well:
z/VSE intends to provide 64-bit virtual addressing for user applications.
64-bit virtual addressing further exploits the z/Architecture capabilities (64-bit real addressing) introduced with z/VSE 4.1.
z/VSE intends to provide APIs to manage 64-bit virtual memory
objects. Memory objects are "chunks" of virtual storage obtained by a
program. They may help clients to keep more data in memory for growing
workloads and improve performance.
And here some facts from the announcement letter:
z/VSE V4.3 shows IBM's commitment and dedication to clients' needs. Enhancements planned for z/VSE V4.3 include:
- Exploitation of innovative IBM System z10 and zEnterprise 196 technology:
- Dynamically add logical CPs reduces preplanning requirements and need for planned outages.
- Large page (1 megabytes page) support for data spaces to even better exploit large processor storage.
- Linux Fast Path in z/VM mode LPAR allows selected TCP/IP
applications to communicate with a TCP/IP stack on Linux on System z
without requiring a TCP/IP stack on z/VSE.
- Use of the AP (Adjunct Processor)-queue adapter-interruption facility might accelerate SSL throughput.
- Configurable Crypto Express3 offers data encryption and SSL acceleration.
- FICON Express8 supports a link rate of up to 8 Gbps.
- Virtual storage constraint relief:
- Allows customers with growing (CICS) workloads and/or those who
want to consolidate their z/VSE systems to satisfy their increased
needs of limited 24-bit storage.
- Ease of use through four digit device addresses:
- Provides more flexibility and infrastructure simplification in
mixed IT environments consisting of z/VSE, z/VM, Linux on System z
- Exploitation of IBM System Storage options.
- IPv6/VSE V1.1 (IPv6/VSE) is an optional product of z/VSE V4.3:
- IPv6/VSE delivers an IPv6 solution to z/VSE, thus bringing the
benefits of IPv6 functionality to z/VSE clients. IPv6/VSE provides an
IPv6 TCP/IP stack, IPv6 application programming interfaces (APIs), and
IPv6-enabled applications. Also see announcement letter 210-066. IPv6/VSE is a trademark of Barnard Software Inc.
- The IPv6/VSE product also includes a full-function IPv4 TCP/IP
stack, IPv4 application programming interfaces and IPv4 applications.
The IPv4 TCP/IP stack does not require the IPv6 TCP/IP stack to be
- Networking, security and auditability enhancements.
- DOS/VS RPG II support for CICS Transaction Server for VSE/ESA (CICS TS). Support will also be made available on z/VSE V4.2.
- DL/I VSE V1.12: The new release of DL/I provides virtual storage constraint relief for the CICS TS environment.
Find here the complete: Announcement Letter
Note: All statements regarding IBM's plans, directions, and intent are subject to change or withdrawal without notice.