Pulse Daily News for Monday, March 5
Welcome to Pulse 2012! 8,000 attendees from around the globe are here to learn how they can change the economics of IT and speed the delivery of innovative products and services. The theme of this year's Pulse is "Business without Limits" and with hundreds of sessions including topics from cloud, mobility, smarter physical infrastructure and security, your options at Pulse are nearly limitless too! Check the Pulse SmartSite to search for sessions on the subjects that matter to you and watch the Pulse website for the latest resources from Pulse, including live video of the event, the current Livestream schedule, a video library, picture gallery, and keynote slides.
Danny Sabbah opened the Pulse 2012 Solution Expo opened with a ribbon cutting ceremony, which officially kicked off Pulse 2012. It was a full house at the Solution Expo, which features the newest technology and next-generation solutions from IBM and IBM Business Partners. Visit the Pulse 2012 Sponsors, including Diamond Sponsors Toshiba and Trend Micro, in the Expo today! The Solution Expo will be open from 12- 7 p.m. on Monday, 12 - 6 p.m. on Tuesday, and 12 - 4 p.m. on Wednesday.
While many of us were settling in to Pulse, IBM Business Partners were taking in a full day of strategy sessions! Hosted by Ernest Jones and sponsored by Arrow ECS, Gemini Systems, and Innovise ESM, the Tivoli Business Partner Summit featured a wealth of advice on how to embody this year's theme of Be Bold. Be Tivoli. Be Limitless. Ernest was followed by Brendan Hannigan, GM of the IBM Security Division, and Jamie Thomas, VP of Tivoli Strategy and Development, who shared product roadmaps and her perspectives on the Tivoli marketplace. Tivoli General Manager Danny Sabbah shared insights, Mark Register hosted an interactive panel of partners and clients, and Lou Attanasio described the keys to "Excelling at Selling." They were joined by special guest speaker Alison Levine overcame a life-threatening heart condition to become the first American woman to accomplish the Adventure Grand Slam (successfully climbing all seven summits and reached the North and South Pole). Alison inspired the crowd on how they, too, can become limitless through leadership, teamwork, innovation, and dealing with change. Partners also had a choice of six breakout sessions. IBM Business Partners can find the presentations for those breakouts on the PartnerWorld Tivoli Knowledge Center.
A highlight of the Business Partner Summit each year is the Tivoli Business Partner Awards. Congratulations to this year's winners:
- ISM Summit Cup: Sirius Computer Solutions
- Business Partner Innovation Award: Flagship Solutions Group, Inc.
- Data Protection Excellence Award: Fritz & Macziol Software und Computervertrieb GmbH
- Integrated Service Management Excellence Award: Softential
- Smarter Planet for Asset Management Award: Interloc Solutions
- Value Added Distributor Innovation Award: Tech Data Azlan
- Best of Show Award: Interloc Solutions
- Application-Specific License Excellence Award: Projetech
- ISM Library Solution Excellence Award: Front-safe A/S
- Service Management Partner Connect Award: Gulf Breeze Software Partners
The Pulse International Connection Reception provided a fun and festive event for Pulse attendees from 79 countries. Host Joao Perez greeted the entusiastic crowd and shared the top five countries most represented at Pulse outside of the US: Canada, Brazil, the United Kingdom, Mexico and Australia. Overall, 34% of all Pulse attendees are from outside the United States.
Hands-on Labs and Certification Testing also opened Sunday. With more labs this year than ever, participants took part in exercises about a wide variety of IBM software products. Lab titles are listed in your pocket agenda and full lab descriptions are available here and in the Pulse SmartSite. For Certification testing, the choices are nearly unlimited: you can take any of the certification tests IBM offers right here at Pulse! The Hands-on Labs and Certification rooms are located in the Studio Ballrooms A and B, near the Grand Garden Arena entrance. Follow the signs to take part in these valuable opportunities.
Win an Apple iPod Touch!
For each session you attend while at Pulse, you will find a session survey on the Pulse SmartSite. Submit your session surveys for a chance to win. Each day there will be a drawing, and the winner receives an Apple iPod Touch, sponsored by Alliance Tech, Inc. Each survey submitted is an entry to win, so complete your surveys today!
Find More and Contribute to the Conversation:
- Watch Pulse videos on ibm.com/pulse.
- View Pulse Photos on Facebook and Flickr
- Answer the Social Pulse Question of the Day
- Today's Twitter topic of the day is: How would you define instrumented endpoints to a 5th grader? Join in at #ibmpulse
- Tivoli User Community members: Social Media 101 is available for Tivoli User Community (TUC) Members in the Solution Expo from 3-3:30 p.m.
- Get ready for Wednesday's special guest speaker. Tweet your questions with #askwoz and they might be answered in Wednesday's general session!
- Read blogs from Cloud and Service Management, Asset Management, Storage, System z, and IBM Software.
Monday Preview: Don't miss these events!
- General Sesssion 8:00 a.m. in the Grand Garden Arena (Livestreamed)
- Stream Keynotes (Livestreamed):
- Cloud and Data Center Optimization, 10:00 a.m., Grand Garden Arena
- Mobility and Endpoint Management, 10:00 a.m., Premier Ballroom
- Smarter Physical Infrastructure, 11:15 a.m., Grand Garden Arena
- Security, 11:15 a.m., Premier Ballroom
- Service Assurance for Service Providers, 11:15 a.m., CC Room 119
- Hands-on Labs and Certification, 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Storage Management Track Kickoff: The Pivotal Role of Storage in the Modern Data Center, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., CC Room 117
- Social Pulse I Scream Social, 3:30 p.m. at the Pulse Social Bars
- Grady Booch's Computing: The Human Experience video booth, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m, CC 3rd floor Social Pulse Bar
- Birds of a Feather Sessions, 6:00 p.m., various locations
- Expo Reception, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m., Marquee Ballroom
- North America Tivoli East/West Client Reception, 8:00 - 11:00 p.m., North Pavillion. Register here.
Late-breaking news including new, updated and cancelled sessions can be found in the Pulse SmartSite under Daily News.
BP Summit Sponsors:
|Through the development of the Empower Storage Optimization practice, Arrow ECS is taking an aggressive step to help you deliver solutions to your customers’ data management challenges.|
|At Gemini Systems, we work with mid-market through Fortune 1000 organizations to deliver exceptional business solutions based on IBM and related technologies.|
|Innovise ESM is an IBM Premier Business Partner and the UK’s largest IBM Tivoli Automation, AAA accredited IBM partner and longest standing IBM Tivoli Netcool partner.|
Pulse 2012 Diamond Sponsors:
|Just when you thought you couldn’t get any thinner or lighter, Toshiba stepped up to the task with an all-new laptop that’s in a class of its own. Visit http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/portege/Z830 for complete details. (Booth D423)|
|IBM Endpoint Manager for Core Protection, powered by Trend Micro, provides easy-to-use antivirus and data loss prevention that protects sensitive data while controlling operating costs.|
Pulse 2012 Platinum Sponsors:
|Pirean are internationally acclaimed experts in the consultancy, implementation, enhancement and support of IBM Tivoli Software. The World's most accredited Tivoli partner for 2010 and 2011, Pirean’s unrivalled Software and Services portfolio guarantees to deliver first-class Security and IT Service Management Solutions for high-performing organizations globally. (Booth P317)|
|PowerPlan is an enterprise software company providing asset-centric accounting, tax and budgeting solutions. Companies leverage PowerPlan and Maximo to help generate cash, mitigate compliance risk and enable a cost management culture. The world’s most demanding asset-intensive companies trust PowerPlan to manage over $2 Trillion in assets. For more information visit www.powerplan.com (Booth P318)|