On May 18, the IBM Institute for Business Value
released the results of it's annual IBM CIO Study
, a study evaluating the trends impacting more than 3,000 CIOs worldwide. Key findings from this year's study include, not surprisingly, an increasing focus on cloud computing, analytics and business intelligence, mobility, simplification and cost cutting. More newsworthy was the sheer number of CIOs who had shifted their focus to these top priorities since the last survey. For example:
- 60% of organizations are ready to embrace cloud computing over the next five years as a means of growing their businesses and achieving competitive advantage. In 2009, only one third of CIOs had cited cloud computing as a top priority.
- Four out of five CIOs now see business intelligence and analytics as top priorities as they seek ways to act upon the growing amount of data now at their disposal.
- 74% of CIOs see mobile computing and mobility solutions as a game-changer, up from 68% in 2009.
For the first time since the study was implemented, the CIO's vision of the future was almost identical to the CEO's. Top focus areas for both execs included strengthening relationships with customers, developing the skills of employees and gaining insight and intelligence from their data. CIOs are also now being looked upon as more than the 'Chief IT Mechanic', and is recognized for extracting value from technology and insight from complex systems.
But you may be wondering -- how do these findings change when the focus shifts to the midmarket? IBM's Midmarket CIO Study Forum seeks to address these questions.
IBM Midmarket CIO Study Forum
June 10, 2011
11:00 a.m EST
At the Midmarket CIO Study Forum, midmarket business leaders will discuss the key strategies and innovations driving growth and transformation. IBM will also reveal the key results of the IBM 2011 Midmarket CIO survey, which focuses on the results from 622 midmarket CIOs in both growth and mature markets, including their top technology priorities for the next three to five years.
The Midmarket CIO Study Forum will also include an insightful panel discussion with CIOs and business leaders from midsize companies to discuss the growing importance of harnessing the power of 'Big Data' and analytics, and partnering with trusted advisors to drive profitability and expand into new areas.
Join us on the PartnerWorld Livestream channel
to view the event in real time. You can also follow the conversation on Twitter in real-time by monitoring some of IBM's key business partner and midmarket hashtags, including: #ibmpartners, #ibmpartnerworld and #infoBOOM.
- Martha Lieber, Director of Business Systems, Papa Gino's and D'Angelo's
- Scott Megill, CIO, Coriell Institute for Medical Research
- Dane Adcock, Vice President of Business Intelligence Solutions, Sky I.T. Group
- Ed Abrams, Vice President of Midmarket Marketing, IBM
- Panel Moderator: Paul Gilin, Editor, the infoBOOM
For more information on the IBM CIO Study, visit ibm.com/ciostudy
for a breakdown of survey insights by industry or job function, or to download a complete copy.
Updated 12/29/11: Video from the Midmarket CIO Study Forum will remain available on the PartnerWorld Livestream Channel Video Library for those who missed the original air date and still want an overview of the Midmarket CIO Study results.