10 tips as you plan your trip to the IBM InterConnect Conference in Singapore
Tiffany Winman 12000065XB email@example.com | | Tags:  tips travel conference interconnect ibminterconnect ibm
0 Comments | 3,079 Visits
I arrived in Singapore this week for the IBM InterConnect 2012 Conference, and I already have some travel tips to share with those who are also making this journey.
1. Remember your travel adapter. Some of my hotel's electrical outlets work for my electronics, but many don't.
2. You can find an ATM right outside of customs at the airport. You'll want cash if you want to tip the cab driver or hotel staff. Using an ATM saves you fees associated with the Currency Exchange counters at the airport.
3. There are plenty of cabs outside of the airport, and the cost to the hotel is about $20-30 Singapore dollars.
4. The hotels around the conference often make you pay for a second device to access wireless. I chose to have wifi on my laptop as opposed to my phone or tablet, for instance. However, near the InterConnect Conference, you'll have free wifi compliments of IBM.
5. The Hard Rock hotel is closest to the conference. The staff at the hotel keep insisting that I need to take a shuttle, but it's only a 5 minute walk from the Equarius hotel, where I am located, and I enjoy the exercise. :)
6. My hotel doesn't offer hair conditioner for guests. They say it's in the shampoo itself. NOT!
7. I recommend using Skype while you're here. The cost for phone calls is much cheaper.
8. It's common courtesy to hand and take things such as business cards, bills, credit cards and more to people with both hands here in Singapore.
9. There's a great app called, "Your Singapore Guide" that you can download. It gives great advice and tips on how you can get discounts.
10. Visit the Gardens at the Bay. I really enjoyed the Cloud Forest (gorgeous!), but I could've skipped the Flower zone. Much of the Flower zone is filled with cactus and plants we have all over Phoenix. I didn't need to fly half way around the world to see that. ;) We took a short walk to the Marina Bay Sands (the hotel that looks like it has a ship on the top) from the Gardens at the Bay. Only after paying about $20 for a ticket to the top, we saw the FourSquare tips that tell you that you can go to the top for free if you say you want to have a drink at the bar on the top. The drinks are upward of about 18 Singapore dollars.
See my photos from the trip thus far below: Slideshow (http://bit.ly/VLmnqF) | List (http://bit.ly/VLmuCN)
For more tips: See my other blog on 10 ways to network before, during, and after IBM InterConnect 2012: ibm.co/SsyFip