In order to enable breadcrumbs within IBM Cognos Analysis Studio changes are required to the ansproperties.xml file and to the advanced settings of the ReportService.
The following section provides the step by step instructions on changing the ansproperties.xml file.
- Within the IBM Cognos installation go to the configuration folder. If you don't have a file named ansproperties.xml already, make a copy of the file named ansproperties.xml.sample and rename it to ansproperties.xml.
- Edit the file ansproperties.xml using a text editor.
- Add the following code before the ending statement </ans_property> and then save the file.
<!--Display Breadcrumb in ANS report Output-->
<!--Default is 1 (ON) == new model; 0 (OFF) == old model -->
Configure the Advanced Setting for ReportService
- Open Cognos Connection and go to IBM Cognos Administration -> Configuration -> Dispatchers and Services
- Click on your dispatcher to see the services in detail.
- Open the property window of the ReportService.
Figure 1 IBM Cognos Administration page displaying the available ReportService
- Go to the tab settings and click on the Edit link to open the properties for the Advanced settings.
Figure 2 IBM Cognos Administration displaying the Edit link for the ReportService
- Add a new Parameter with the following values and press OK.
Figure 3 Set Advanced setting dialog box for ReportService showing the ANS.EnableDisplayBreadcrumb set to a value of 1
- Log off your browser session and restart the IBM Cognos BI Service
Testing the New Setting within IBM Cognos Analysis Studio
After the service restarts, you should see the following option in IBM Cognos Analysis Studio within the Run\Report Options - > Output Purpose: properties.
Be sure to switch the Purpose of the report output to “View as analysis”.
Figure 4 IBM Cognos Analysis Studio Report options displaying the Display the hierarchical information for crosstabs and charts in the report output as an available report option
If you select the new option 'Breadcrumbs' then you see additional dimensional information in your report output. The following screen capture shows a HTML view of an analysis:
Figure 5 IBM Cognos Viewer display the HTML output of an IBM Cognos Analysis Studio report with the Breadcrumbs enabled. The report output now displays the Rows, Columns and Default Measure in the header.