IBM delivers smarter virtual networks with new OpenFlow controller
Industry pundits are calling software defined networking the most exciting and disruptive enterprise networking technology in decades. With the announcement of the new IBM System Networking Programmable Network Controller, IBM now provides a complete OpenFlow solution (the new controller plus IBM switch).
Just as IBM was first to market with a 10/40GbE OpenFlow-enabled switch, IBM is now leading the market with a complete SDN OpenFlow solution for the agile data center. By aggressively adopting, and contributing to, this new design paradigm, IBM is again demonstrating its commitment to innovation in order to meet and exceed customers’ needs for increased IT and business efficiency, competitiveness and creativity.
As one of the few Tier 1 vendors with any kind of SDN solution, we’re very excited to bring this complete solution to companies and organizations worldwide. And, to demonstrate IBM’s commitment to IT and business innovation.
IBM’s new software defined networking (SDN) controller is an addition to our enterprise networking portfolio. It provides intelligent software using the OpenFlow standard for the IBM RackSwitch G8264 and other OpenFlow-enabled switches. Using OpenFlow, our clients can create virtual networks with the scalability and flexibility required to respond to changes in cloud and mobile services environments.
Customers tell us that IBM’s commitment to interoperability and standards enables them to significantly reduce cost and time-to-value by increasing their networking intelligence. Now that SDN and OpenFlow are not just for research institutions anymore; financial services, software companies, cloud providers and web enterprises are increasingly adopting these new technologies to increase performance and user control.
Listening to what customers need, we’ve designed our new controller to dramatically simplify what is a very complex and expensive management task today. It also allows enterprise data centers to:
- Squeeze out costs from network administration.
- Mitigate business risk with flexible controls and management of network flows based on business policy.
- Deploy a “pay as you grow” scalable fabric that can be cost-effectively implemented with immediate benefits, accelerating time-to-market.
- Use all resources efficiently.
- An OpenFlow-based network fabric with centralized control of network flows and virtual machine mobility, simplifying management.
- Increase in operational efficiency by automating network changes rather than requiring an admin to make CLI changes.
- Ability to transform traditional networking into an open, flexible model, dramatically increasing business agility and resource productivity while reducing costs.
- A pay-as-you-grow option allowing new applications or growth to leverage the advantages of IBM’s Programmable Network Controller
- Ideal solution for multi-tenant environments and those where business continuity is critical.
- A resilient network for self-healing after an outage.