IBM Lotus Sametime 8.5 represents the next generation of unified communications and collaboration software. As you can see, we've packed in quite a bit into this release:
- A new online meeting experience that is integrated into the IBM Lotus Sametime Connect client. Join a meeting with a single click. Easily invite others by dragging their names from the contact list. Accept meeting invitations with a single click. Upload meeting materials via simple drag and drop.
- New zero-download, browser-based chat and meeting clients that extend the desktop experience to wherever the user is working.
- A new standards-based audio and video infrastructure that enables more seamless interoperability with third party audio and video conferencing systems.
- New audio and video codecs that provide higher quality native voice and video services for a more compelling collaborative experience out-of-the-box.
- New Web 2.0 APIs that let developers embed Sametime capabilities into Web sites and applications so users switch context less.
- A new, browser-based Apple iPhone chat client, support for the Blackberry Storm, and an improved mobile client for Microsoft® Windows® Mobile devices.
- New social views that make it easier to find the people you collaborate with the most.
- Deeper integration with Microsoft and Lotus products
- A new System Console that centralizes infrastructure configuration, deployment, management, and policy management for all Sametime services.
We'll be exploring all of these capabilities in the new year... but Sametime 8.5 is really about simplicity. Simplicity promotes adoption and adoption creates return on investment. Ask yourself these questions: How often do you loose the first ten minutes of a meeting providing instructions on how to log into the web conference? Have you invested in video conferencing systems that sit unused because no one knows they're there or how to use them? Do you want to deliver unified communications services into the applications your employees already use? Do you have a mix of communication and collaboration systems that are difficult to use, isolated and underutilized? If so, Sametime 8.5's unified user experience and open integration can help make UC simple for users, leverage those existing investments and drive real business value.
For more information, you can read the Announcement Letter or visit the new Sametime web site.