Date: Thursday, December 6, 2012
Time: 1:00pm ET / 12:00pm CT / 10:00am PT
Duration: 60 minutes
Every IT manager knows that under utilized data center assets can quickly run up costs. But what do you do about it? On top of the space and energy they require, there's the additional administrative and software expenses . The more components you have the more complex your system can become. Sometiimes a standard virtualized cloud platform may appear to be an answer. But for organizations deploying clouds there's a more cost-effective solution—IBM® zEnterprise and Linux. Built with an advanced z/VM® O/S, this platform is designed to offer greater TCO for large scale consolidation, better service quality, built-in resiliency and easy-to-use functionality. Register for this live webcast
to hear the benefits of the powerful combination of IBM zEnterprise and Linux.
Our speakers will discuss how IBM zEnterprise and Linux offer a flexible, robust solution to:
• Handle today's ever-changing and increasing workloads
• Transform IT economics and save you up to 50% in costs
• Provide the agility and performance to give you leverage in your marketplace
• Help you master your technology to get a better ROI
IBM's Enterprise Systems for Smarter Computing Seminar SeriesThe next generation of zEnterprise, Power Systems and Smarter Storage designed to help you work smarter to save time and costs
This fall IBM is inviting our clients across the United States to a series seminars to highlight the benefits of IBM's Smarter Computing portfolio. Smarter Computing is a new approach to IT transformation in an information-centric era. It helps IT leaders seize the opportunities of a smarter planet by thinking differently about the way their organizations can manage IT as a cloud, unlock the power of Big Data, and secure critical information and business processes. Explore the full portfolio of IBM systems optimized for cloud, data and security that uniquely address clients’ evolving needs for an IT infrastructure that enables a Smarter Planet. Enterprise Systems for Smarter Computing Event Highlights
Highlights of these events include breakout sessions on :
- IBM Power Systems: Get the details on how the Power Systems platform designed for data, achieves high performance and can be managed with cloud technologies
- z Enterprise : Learn about IBM's new model, the zEnterprise EC12, has strengthened the traditional mainframe’s skill of reliably and securely handling vast volumes of transactions.
- IBM Storage: Hear how Real Time Compression and the new Linear Tape File System can help you optimize your systems to maximize storage space and optimize productivity.
Virtual Event Replay, Listen On Demand
||Virtual Event |
IBM is gearing up for another great showing at VMWorld this week in San Francisco, CA.
The show is on this week in San Francisco at Moscone Center, August 26 to 30. Stop by booth #1772 to see IBM solutions and demonstrations on the show floor. Demonstrations in the IBM Booth will include: VDI (VMware View), Virtual SAP Business Solutions, Cognos Business Intelligence, IBM Big Data Platform, IBM PureFlex, IBM PureApplication, System X and Blade Center Rack plus IBM Storage XIV . The IBM Booth is open during these show hours:
|Sunday, August 26
||4:00pm - 7:00pm|
|Monday, August 27
||10:30am - 6:00pm|
|Tuesday, August 28
||10:30am - 6:00pm|
|Wednesday, August 29
||10:00am - 5:00pm|
Join us for these IBM speaking sessions at VMWorld to learn more about IBM offerings, and be entered to win an iPad. That's right, an iPad! IBM Business Partner QLogic is sponsoring this super giveaway so be sure to save these dates for the sessions as you must be present to win.
IT departments are going through massive changes as they pursue cloud computing models. Speakers: Mahesh Viswanathan - Distinguished Engineer, IBM & Lonnie Haynes, IBM Distinguished Engineer.
Are you missing windows of opportunity for adopting new and innovative business solutions? Attend this informative session to find out. Speakers: Bala Rajaraman - IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Tivoli software, IBM Pratik Gupta, Distinguished Engineer and Chief Architect for Service Availability, Performance Management and Virtualization Management, IBM.
Building custom cloud environments can be challenging, getting them up and running can take weeks to months. Speaker: John Borkenhagen - CTO System x and Blade Center, IBM.
To learn more about IBM solutions, check datasheets, demos and more online in the IBM VMWorld Virtual Event Center.
Whether you are at VMWorld, or looking in via social networks, you can follow all the IBM updates on Twitter by searching or following the hashtags #IBM #VMWorld.
Data centers today are stretched to the limits with fast-paced business demands. On top of that, integrating and managing IT infrastructures can pose major challenges. Organizations need a new solution that consolidates servers and workloads without breaking the bank—and Linux, together with IBM® Enterprise Linux Server offers exactly that. Register for this informative webcast to hear IDC Vice President, Enterprise Servers, Jean Bozman's perspective on how you can overcome your IT challenges by optimizing workloads and lowering costs with an enterprise-wide Linux strategy, and gain “the flexibility of many and the efficiency of one.”
Register to attend this webcast to learn how IBM’s Enterprise Linux Server can:
- Offer large-scale consolidation with better service quality
- Virtualize and share all system resources with greater scalability
- Reduce the overall energy consumption and floor space
- Accelerate application development and deployment with ease
- Lower total cost per workload by up to 55%
Research Vice President, Enterprise Servers IDC Dennis Wunder
Executive IT Specialist , IBM
2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m EST
11:00 pm - 12:30 pm PST
Smarter computing for a smarter planet. Join IBM for the launch of an entirely new category of computing, expert integrated systems
On April 11th, you're invited to join IBM
online for the launch of an entirely new category of computing, expert integrated systems. IBM will be introducing expert integrated systems featuring both hardware and software solutions. This new computing category is expected to help change the way you deploy, manage and fund IT.
Some of us know all too well how painful IT-related challenges can be. Sometimes it seems that every project is underfunded with limited resources to make it all work. With overburdened budgets and staffs that can mean that precious time is wasted . Organizations can spend billions of dollars on maintenance instead of innovation. IBM has heard from, you, our customers, that it was time to fundamentally rethink how we design and build systems. That's why we've been working to develop expert integrated systems to offer a solution that offers the flexibility of a general-purpose system with the simplicity of an appliance.
We're hoping that new integrated systmes designed by IBM
can get you up and running in as little as a few hours, cutting months off deployment times of new application projects. It’s all based on patterns of expertise, that you deploy as quickly and easily as you download and use apps on a smartphone. IBM's goal is to help customers acheive faster system set-up and application deployment time. Register for our virtual event to get all the details
and bring your questions. We want to hear from you!
The new offerings include high-performance systems, networking and software products aimed at helping clients optimize data center operations with flexible, easy-to-deploy solutions to help reduce complexity, lower costs and deliver rapid return on investments.
Today, clients are looking for solutions that help them handle specific business challenges and make better use of existing IT infrastructures. More and more clients are turning to cloud computing, analytics and other smarter computing solutions to help their businesses grow. Cloud computing deployments are expected to grow more than 19% per year, according to IDC (1), and a recent IBM CIO study (2) showed cloud implementations nearly doubling from 33% to 60% over the last two years.
"From the design of the servers, software and services, IBM solutions are created to help accelerate the journey to Smarter Computing," said Adalio Sanchez, general manager, IBM System x business. "IBM is delivering easy-to-deploy cloud and analytics products to help clients align their businesses to manage unprecedented amounts of data, and become much more efficient at turning that information into timely business insights."
Among the solutions introduced is a new version of IBM's BladeCenter Foundation for Cloud (BCFC), an integrated virtualization platform with built-in system management and preconfigured with servers, storage, and networking. BladeCenter Foundation for Cloud is now powered by the new generation of IBM BladeCenter HS23 systems that offer 62% more compute power, and comes integrated with the new 10GbE Virtual Fabric technology that enables clients to run 20% more virtual machines, creating an optimal environment for building and deploying advanced cloud applications.
The increased bandwidth and up to four times more memory allows the HS23 to support faster data transfers that are essential to virtualized cloud and analytic workloads. In addition, IBM FastSetup for BladeCenter, a cost and time-saving console application can help clients reduce from days to hours the time it takes to complete large deployments. Bytemobile and German Leibniz Supercomputer Center Bet on IBM Cloud and Analytics California-based Bytemobile (http://bit.ly/wwxyCC) and Germany's Leibniz Supercomputing Center in Munich are among the first customers to purchase IBM next generation x86 systems. Santa Clara-based Bytemobile, a leading global provider of mobile Internet solutions for global wireless network operators, is using IBM BladeCenter HS23 servers as the foundation for its cloud computing implementation.
"With the new performance capabilities of the BladeCenter HS23 combined with our software, we are able to achieve two-and-a-half times the performance over our previous infrastructure," said Chris Koopmans, chief operating officer, Bytemobile. "The IBM solution allows us to process large amounts of network data more quickly and easily. Given the way that video traffic is exploding on mobile networks around the world, this is crucial in being able to provide customers an optimal, seamless end-user experience."
The Leibniz Supercomputing center provides supercomputing services to scientists in Munich, Bavaria, Germany and other parts of Europe. It is in the process of installing a new high-end supercomputer based on IBM System x iDataPlex technology, which will help scientists solve a broad range of challenging scientific problems.
"Our new iDataPlex-powered SuperMUC system will help enable the scientific community to test theories, design experiments and predict outcomes as never before," said Professor Dr. Arndt Bode, director of the LRZ supercomputing center. "In addition, the new SuperMUC system will be able to provide previously unattainable energy efficiency along with sustained performance."
IBM SmartCloud Solutions for Mid-sized Business Clients
IBM also introduced new and affordable SmartCloud solutions powered by its latest IBM System x 3650 M4 server, the most expandable, upgradeable system of its kind. The x3650 M4 demonstrated excellent performance on industry-standard benchmarks. It achieved a leadership two-processor score for SPECvirt_sc2010 benchmark (3), set a new record for two-processor server performance on TPC-E (4), more than 45% faster than the previous-generation result achieved by the HP ProLiant DL380 G7 server (5), and a leadership two-processor result on Windows on two-tier SAP SD standard application benchmark. (6) The System x 3650 M4 also comes with IBM eXFlash solid-state storage technology, bringing exclusive IBM enterprise-class storage capability to a two-socket rack server. The SSD technology enables 30 times more performance and a 90% increase in performance per watt for consolidating collaboration and database workloads. In addition, the new x3650 M4 system supports the IBM Smarter Analytics portfolio of offerings, a set of compact, integrated, single-analytics offerings supported by storage-dense System x two-socket systems running IBM InfoSphere Data Warehouse and Cognos business intelligence and performance management software. IBM's new portfolio of x86 computing solutions also include: The IBM System x iDataPlex dx360 M4, which offers significant flexibility for supporting a wide range of high-performance computing workloads. The system is designed for datacenters requiring high performance with limited floor space, and power and cooling infrastructure. Available with specially designed exclusive IBM warm water-cooled technology, this iDataPlex system is up to 40 percent more energy efficient than air-cooled systems, recovering 90 percent of heat per nodes. The IBM System x 3550 M4, a dense, feature-rich 1U server designed for data and business critical workloads, and the IBM System x3500 M4 tower that provides data center performance in a desktop package. The x3550 delivers four times more memory, more virtual machines, and improved networking performance in less space at a comparable price. The x3500 also offers four times the memory, plus 33% more storage capacity than prior generations. It is designed for quiet operation and fits easily under a desk or rack, making it ideal for office environments. IBM Feature on Demand across the IBM System x product line. Feature on Demand allows clients to activate or unlock features in the firmware or software on demand, providing customers the ability to grow their systems as they grow their businesses without the need for costly rip and replace. New Business Partner Incentives to Sell Client SolutionsThe IBM Solution Accelerator incentive is a new channel initiative to sell combined software and systems, and business solutions. It has two elements. First is a Software and Systems reward that amounts to a 5% incremental rebate for selling eligible IBM systems and a 15% percent incremental rebate for selling eligible software together to a single client. Secondly, a Business Solutions Reward offers an additional 10% rebate for selling a solution aimed at a particular IT challenge on eligible software content of the solution. Eligible solutions cover client needs such as turning information into insights, managing risk, security and compliance and social business. In addition, approximately 1% in fees can be earned when clients finance their solution through IBM Global Finance. The new products will begin shipping worldwide by March 16, 2012. About IBMFor additional information about IBM System x and BladeCenter solutions, visit: www.ibm.com/systems/x86/betterfuture
(1) IDC Worldwide Enterprise Server Cloud Computing 2011-2015 Forecast, doc #228916, June 2011.
(2) IBM 2011 Global CIO Study, "The Essential CIO".
(3) x3650 M4's result: overall performance score of SPECvirt_sc2010 2,158 @ 132 VMs. Configuration: 2 chips/16 cores/8 cores per chip, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2690 (2.9GHz with 20MB L3 cache per processor), 512GB of memory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux® 6.2 and Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) hypervisor. Result referenced is current as of March 6, 2012, and posted at http://www.spec.org/virt_sc2010/results/. View all results for SPEC benchmarks at http://www.spec.org/. SPEC and SPECvirt_sc are trademarks or registered trademarks of Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC).
4) x3650 M4's results: 1,863.23 tpsE (transactions per second E) at $207.85 USD / tpsE, total solution availability May 31, 2012. Configuration: 2 processors/16 cores/32 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2690 (2.9GHz with 20MB L3 cache per processor), 512GB of memory, Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition SP1. Results referenced are current as of March 6, 2012. View all TPC results at www.tpc.org. See the details for this result at http://www.tpc.org/tpce/results/tpce_last_ten_results.asp
(5) HP ProLiant DL380 G7 Server with Intel Xeon Processor X5690 (3.46GHz—2 processors/12 cores/24 threads, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition; 1,284.14 tpsE at $250.00 USD / tpsE, total solution availability of May 4, 2011. Results referenced are current as of March 6, 2012. To view all TPC results, visit www.tpc.org. TPC, TPC Benchmark, TPC-E and tpsE are trademarks of the Transaction Processing Performance Council. (6) IBM System x3650 M4's result of 7,855 SAP SD benchmark users on the two-tier SAP SD standard application benchmark: 2 processors/16 cores/32 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2690 (2.9GHz with 20MB L3 cache per processor), 128GB of memory, 64-bit DB2 9.7, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition, and SAP enhancement package 4 for SAP ERP 6.0. Certification number 2012---.
Results referenced are current as of March 6, 2012. View SAP benchmark results at http://www.sap.com/benchmark. SAP and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries.
IBM, System x™ and BladeCenter™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other company products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies in the U.S. and/or other countries.
IBM is continuously looking for ways to enhance our products and solutions to meet our customer's need to keep pace with the rate of business change and expand their data storage needs. Towards that end, IBM is making a series of important announcements. Following is a brief summary of those announcements. To learn more, listen to the 15 minute webcast entitled, "Accelerate the Journey to Smarter Computing
News about IBM Storage Systems.
IBM delivers storage systems that analyze, adapt to, and improve application performance. Following are some of the enhancements.
The IBM System Storage DS8800 enterprise disk storage system with enhanced Easy Tier reduces costs while increasing performance with new 3-tier capability. The Storwize V7000 Unified also uses Easy Tier technology.
XIV Gen3 now supports three terabyte drives and can support active workloads for less than half the cost of competitive storage systems.
The Storwize V7000 Unified, an advanced mid-ranger storage server offers file and block storage on the same system with a world-class user interface.
News about Cloud Infrastructure Solutions
• IBM is launching new, easy to deploy starter kits that allow clients to respond to changing business demands and quickly move to cloud models. The Starter Kits for Cloud for x86 and Power dramatically increase IT efficiency for customers through standardization and lower operating costs.
• The zEnterprise Starter Edition for Cloud offers customers an entry-level infrastructure as a service delivery model for Linux on System z with Tivoli Provisioning Manager.
• IBM Active Cloud Engine moves files where they're needed and when they're needed. Active Cloud Engine gives companies fast access to billions of files and dramatically improves the management and efficiency of cloud storage.
• IBM Systems Software delivers new cloud-ready capabilities that improve system utilization up to 50% and reduce time to deploy new workloads by 90% with advanced virtualization management. Systems Director VMControl V2.4 offers virtual image management capabilities for System z, System x and Power Systems users.
• Enhanced IBM System Networking offerings improve private cloud network speed, intelligence and TCO through new persistence of connectivity for VM Migration, using standards-based VMready.
• IBM is also enhancing support and offerings for Business Partners, helping them to build clouds for their clients. Check out IBM Partnerworld for all the details.
News about business analytics and reporting services featuring affordable entry-level solutions.
• With the introduction of new, all-in-one cost-effective analytics systems across our server platforms, IBM is providing companies with business analytics and reporting services to help them make faster and better business decisions.
• The IBM Smart Analytics System 5710 for System x users provides warehousing and analytics capabilities at an attractive entry point.
• The IBM Smart Analytics System 7710, built on POWER7 technology and IBM data warehouse management software and storage, is an affordable, integrated solution that can deliver analytics projects at half the price of the 7700.
• The IBM Smart Analytics Systems 9700 and 9710 utilize innovative technologies to deliver an end-to-end data warehouse and business intelligence solution on zEnterprise mainframes.
• The DB2 Analytics Accelerator is an appliance Netezza-based system that plugs into DB2 for z/OS on a z196 server to speed response time for a wide variety of complex queries.
News about IBM Power Systems: new optimized systems that are tuned to the task for businesses of all sizes.
• A number of enhancements to IBM's Systems Director family are designed to optimize workloads for systems by increasing IT staff productivity by up to 20%, reducing IT administration costs by up to 42% and reducing energy costs by up to 20%. For example, new capabilities in Systems Director V6.3 simplify usability and database management functions and improve performance and scalability.
• Enhancements to the Power Express server lineup, along with the Power 770, feature the latest industry I/O standards and deliver twice the throughput in the same physical and energy footprint. The Power 780 now offers up to 96 POWER7 processor cores, plus doubled memory, ideal for high throughput and big data analytics projects.
• Two new, entry-level System x servers -- the System x3100 M4 and System x3250 M4 -- feature low prices for clients who value server-class dependability, serviceability and security. The System x3755 M3, based on AMD Opteron technology, is designed for High Performance Computing and mid-size workloads such as database, business intelligence and ERP.
• IBM is expanding the application portfolio of zEnterprise, fulfilling a statement of direction to support Microsoft Windows on HX5 blades as part of the zEnterprise BladeCenter Extension (zBX) offering.
• Use storage efficiency as a foundation for unlocking insights and making better decisions
To get more details on all the announcements, visit the IBM.com announcements page.
| IBM Power of AIX Webcast Series
Your business needs to evolve; shouldn't your IT too?
IBM® AIX® operating system and IBM Power SystemTM platform have been equipped with new capabilities to enhance business resiliency and competitiveness.
Attend this informative, three part webcast series and learn how your business can leverage your investment on Power systems.
Session 1: What's new with the Power Systems Software Portfolio?
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
2p.m. EST, 11a.m. PST
Learn how these new enhancements create a more efficient and resilient environment.
Session 2: Power Systems Optimized for Analytics
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
2p.m. EST, 11a.m. PST
See how Watson's game-changing analytics technology can benefit your business.
Session 3: Why AIX on Power is the right platform for you
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
1p.m. EST, 10a.m. PST
Gain insight via an in depth study on the advantages of AIX on Power over Linux on x86.
Please forward to your colleagues.
This information is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is based on current IBM product plans and strategy, which are subject to change by IBM without notice. IBM shall not be responsible for any damages arising out of the use of, or otherwise related to, this document. Nothing contained in this document is intended to, nor shall have the effect of, creating any warranties or representations from IBM (or its suppliers or licensors), or altering the terms and conditions of the applicable license agreement governing the use of IBM software.
IBM, the IBM logo, ibm.com, Let's Build a Smarter Planet and Smarter Planet, Power AIX and the planet icon are trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation, registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the web at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.
We've heard consistently from our customers that one thing that is really valuable to them is the ability to test drive IBM products and solutions. That's why we're making a demonstration of IBM Systems Director available to our customers. IBM Systems Director offers a central point of control for all IBM resources in
the data center—simplifying the entire IT process. Combining IBM Systems
Director with IBM Tivoli creates a unified platform approach to systems
management for a fully integrated IT system. Click here to sign-up for a demo now.
Two exclusive demos, Express and Standard Editions, are available for online demonstration.
The online demos show how Systems Director can be an integrating force in
your data center. Each demo includes topics such
as deployment, capture, grouping, monitoring, cost calculation, power capping
and much more.
Does your organization face challenges with:
• Monitoring and repairing systems?
• Deploying and optimizing
• Planning and documenting your IT infrastructure?
You can sign-up for the demo, and listen any time from the comfort of your office, at your convenience. If you check out the demos, leave a comment here on the blog and tell us what you think!
The popularity of the Internet and the affordability of IT hardware
and software have resulted in an explosion of applications,
architectures, and platforms. Workloads have changed. Many applications,
including mission-critical ones, are deployed on a variety of
platforms, and the System z® design has adapted to this change. It takes
into account a wide range of factors, including compatibility and
investment protection, to match the IT requirements of an enterprise.
A new IBM® Redbook publication discusses the IBM zEnterprise System, an IBM
scalable mainframe server. IBM is taking a revolutionary approach by
integrating separate platforms under the well-proven System z hardware
management capabilities, while extending System z qualities of service
to those platforms. The new Redbook from IBM discusses all the features and benefits of the IBM zEnterprise System. The eBook is available as a complimentary download, by clicking here.
If you're interested in zEnterprise 114, the new lower-priced version of the IBM solution, join us on Oct. 25th for a live webcast
on the topic featuring some well known bloggers. Hear from experts Alan Radding, renowned Mainframe blogger and author of the Dancing Dinosaur blog
as well as Bob Thomas, Editor
about how the mainframe market is changing and why it's the
right time to consider Mainframe for midmarket and beyond.