Over the next few weeks, IBM will be offering a series of webcasts entitled the Power of i. The webcast series will start with a session on developing and refreshing business applications on IBM i®. In later sessions you will hear about how to power up your analytics and you will hear about the new announcements for IBM i.
As a special thank you after you attend one or all of our webcasts, we will send you the “Maximize POWER7™ and IBM i 7.1 – A guide to benefits, features and functions”, the System iNetwork Power Pack. If you are interested in learning about IBM, i, please register for the program of your choice using the links below. Don't miss this opportunity to get all the latest news on i, from the convenience of your office.
|Session 1: Tools and Strategies for Developing and Refreshing Business Applications on IBM i,|
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 – 2 p.m Eastern time, 11 a.m. Pacific time
Today’s IT challenges are to deliver application services faster, with higher quality, and with superior economics. And as businesses respond to these challenges by leveraging existing and new applications, they face a rapidly changing set of options for development platforms, web technologies, programming languages, and modernization tools. IBM i developers are uniquely positioned to take advantage of new technologies -- like WebSphere® and PHP™ -- while capitalizing on their existing application investments in RPG® and other traditional languages. Alison Butterill will review the latest industry trends for IBM i application development and modernization, including IBM Rational® development and collaboration tools. Mike Pavlak will share the latest news from Zend™ and Susan Gantner will give her perspective of what's hot in IBM i development shops.
- Alison Butterill, Offering Manager, IBM Power Systems
- Mike Pavlak, Solution Consultant, Zend Technologies
- Susan Gantner, Partner400
|Session 2: Power up your analytics with strategies to modernize Query/400 reports |
Tuesday, November 8, 2011 —- 2 p.m. Eastern time, 11 a.m. Pacific time
For many IBM i clients, Query/400 has been the tried and true report writer to deliver information for analysis purposes. Modernizing that reporting environment provides many benefits, including better performance, better management tools, self service ad-hoc reporting in real time - all while removing a dependency on IT to deliver that information. For some, the data warehouse might be the answer. For others that don't have the budget or bandwidth, something in between may fit the bill - however, for ALL, creating (and executing) a Query/400 modernization strategy based on DB2® for i solutions is the answer! This session will cover several modernization strategies and solutions that are optimized for IBM i.
- Doug Mack - DB2® for i Business Analytics Consultant, IBM Lab Services
|Session 3: Moving up to 7 - IBM i 7.1 recent announcements and POWER7 value |
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 —- 2 p.m. Eastern time, 11 a.m. Pacific time
This session will provide an overview of the latest IBM announcements for IBM i. We will discuss the business value clients are experiencing with new IBM i 7.1 and the new POWER7 processor-based systems. You will learn about best practices in moving up to the latest systems and IBM i 7.1, as well as hear client experiences as they moved to new Power Systems and IBM i 7.1.
- Steve Will, Chief Architect, IBM i, IBM Corporation
- Pete Massiello, President, iTech Solutions
Last week at Pulse 2011, Steve Mills, Senior VP and Group Executive for Software & Systems, introduced Smarter Computing--IBM's technology point of view to help clients apply architectural principles to federated data, optimized systems, cloud and new delivery models to transform entire IT infrastructures to improve economics and support innovation. If you weren't able to make it to Las Vegas for Pulse, you can still experience the excitement of the Smarter Computing
announcements and customer success stories by registering for our Smarter Computing Virtual Event on April 6th.
Date: Thursday, December 6, 2012
Time: 1:00pm ET / 12:00pm CT / 10:00am PT
Duration: 60 minutes
Every IT manager knows that under utilized data center assets can quickly run up costs. But what do you do about it? On top of the space and energy they require, there's the additional administrative and software expenses . The more components you have the more complex your system can become. Sometiimes a standard virtualized cloud platform may appear to be an answer. But for organizations deploying clouds there's a more cost-effective solution—IBM® zEnterprise and Linux. Built with an advanced z/VM® O/S, this platform is designed to offer greater TCO for large scale consolidation, better service quality, built-in resiliency and easy-to-use functionality. Register for this live webcast
to hear the benefits of the powerful combination of IBM zEnterprise and Linux.
Our speakers will discuss how IBM zEnterprise and Linux offer a flexible, robust solution to:
• Handle today's ever-changing and increasing workloads
• Transform IT economics and save you up to 50% in costs
• Provide the agility and performance to give you leverage in your marketplace
• Help you master your technology to get a better ROI
IBM will be where the action is this week at the SNW Show
sponsored by Computerworld. SNA is one of the world's largest tradeshows and conferences on managing information infrastructure. Look for IBM experts and executives speaking at the event at the Santa Clara Convention Center, plus IBM Wonderkind, IBM Watson on display in booth 401
. Following is a list of IBM highlights at the event, so you can find us. All times listed are in PST. This morning IBM will be holding a "Storage Security Tutorial"
session at 9:20 am PST.
If you miss it, don't worry, this session will repeat in the afternoon, at 2:50 PM. Look for the speaking session, "New Era of Storage Efficiency"
at 1:00 pm today, April 4th.
For real time coverage, follow IBMSTG
on Twitter and follow the conference hashtag #SNWUSA on Twitter.
Mark your conference calendar for these IBM Highlights
"Storage Security Tutorial"
IBM Presenter: Gordon Arnold, IBM Senior Technical Staff
April 4 from 9:20 AM to 10:05 AM AND April 4 from 2:50 PM to 3:35 PM
Introduction of computing and data services in a virtualized and service provider context exposes the customer's information to a new set of threats and vulnerabilities. This session provides an introduction to those threats and what techniques are available to mitigate the threats.
"New Era of Storage Efficiency"
IBM Presenter: Eric Collins, IBM Senior System Architect
April 4 from 1:00 PM to 1:45 PM
Today's organizations require efficient, affordable storage solutions that help keep up with exploding information demands. Yesterday's storage solutions are not built to meet these new challenges. Your clients' business information is multiplying rapidly. Managing this information is becoming increasingly complex and expensive. Eric Collins, Senior System Architect at IBM, will discuss how the IBM Storage strategy will help your clients drive down the cost of storage acquisition, data retention, and management and can reduce physical storage requirements by up to 50% and make future storage growth easier to accommodate.
"Cloud Computing & the Enterprise"
IBM Presenter: Kevin Leahy, Director, Cloud Strategy, IBM GTS
April 5 from 11:40 AM to 12:25 PM
This presentation will draw on IBM's experience working with customers and operating 13 cloud centers world wide to review the conditions under which cloud computing can deliver its promise of flexibility and cost savings in the delivery of IT services to the enterprise. IBM will discuss the importance of dynamic infrastructures and service management for both public and private clouds, cloud service life cycles and integration between public clouds and enterprise services. Also discussed will be standards required for interoperability between clouds and application scenarios that demonstrate the use of cloud computing in an enterprise context for a smarter planet.
IBM Keynote: "Smarter Computing for a Smarter Planet -- Managing the Explosion of Data"
IBM Presenter: Dr. Krishna Nathan, Vice President, IBM Storage Systems Development
April 5 from 4:00 PM to 4:30 PM
The tremendous explosion of data presents both opportunities and challenges to the IT industry. On one hand, there is the opportunity to analyze and transform the data into business value, on the other hand, there is the challenge of managing this data in an era of flat IT budgets. But the opportunities for innovation have never been greater. In this session, Dr. Nathan will highlight how you can transform your information infrastructure to get the most out of your data and your storage systems in order to deliver breakthrough economics and help support innovation.
"Understanding High Availability in the SAN"
IBM Presenter: Mark Fleming, IBM Senior Software Engineer
April 7 from 8:30 AM to 9:15 AM
This session will appeal to those seeking a fundamental understanding of High Availability (HA) configurations in the SAN. Modern SANs have developed numerous methods using hardware and software to assure high availability of storage to customers. The session will explore basic concepts of HA; move through a sample configuration from end-to-end; investigate HA and virtualization, converged networks and the cloud; and discuss some of the challenges and pitfalls faced in testing HA configurations. Real customer experiences will be shared to drive it all home.
IBM Exhibitor Booth (number 401)--Look for Jeopardy Superstar IBM Watson!
Booth Hours: April 3rd: 12:30pm -4:00pm April 4th: 5:30pm - 7:30pm
IBM's booth will feature our innovative storage solutions in action with demonstrations on touch-screen monitors and white boarding capabilities. We plan to organize our booth pedestals by four key storage themes around storage efficiency, data protection, application integration and management simplicity. The IBM Watson kiosk will be prominently featured in the IBM booth.
And a final highlight of the show, is the awards ceremony. Congratulations to the Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research (DIISR)
. DIISR, an IBM client, is a Finalist in SNW’s Spring 2011 Best Practices Awards Program in the category of "Best Practices in IT Consolidation, IT Efficiency and Data Center Design." As a Finalist, DIISR will be welcomed to the stage to accept their award on Wednesday, April 6 from 9:30 AM to 10:00 AM.
On Oct. 25th, IBM is going to open up our webcast series to two of the Mainframe world's most respected bloggers/journalists. Bob Thomas, Editor and Publisher of MainframeZone and Bob's Big Iron Blog along with Ala Radding author of Dancing Dinosaur will be joining our webcast series. This is the first time we've invited Bloggers on the show to share their perspective on our z products. Join us for the special web event to discuss IBM's zEnterprise 114 and bring your questions.. In July, IBM introduced its newest member of the zEnterprise family, the zEnterprise 114, the successor to the System z® 10 BC. Today's mainframe is a modern system that runs technologies such as Java, Linux, XML and SOA, and with zEnterprise extends this concept further to integrate traditional mainframe with AIX® , Linux on System x® and, eventually, Microsoft* Windows* environments all under one management construct. IBM has highlighted many reasons to consider investing in the z114 today, and encourage users of current System z servers to migrate to the z114. But this unique show will take you beyond IBM's positioning to an understanding of what the marketplace and customers think about the announcement.
In this webcast you'll hear from experts about the benefits of this lower cost zEnterprise solution. Never before has the mainframe been so affordable. But, is it a practical solution for your organization?
Hear from experts Alan Radding, renowned Mainframe blogger and author of the Dancing Dinosaur blog as well as Bob Thomas, Editor of Mainframe Zone Magazine about how the mainframe market is changing and why it's the right time to consider Mainframe for midmarket and beyond.
The popularity of the Internet and the affordability of IT hardware
and software have resulted in an explosion of applications,
architectures, and platforms. Workloads have changed. Many applications,
including mission-critical ones, are deployed on a variety of
platforms, and the System z® design has adapted to this change. It takes
into account a wide range of factors, including compatibility and
investment protection, to match the IT requirements of an enterprise.
A new IBM® Redbook publication discusses the IBM zEnterprise System, an IBM
scalable mainframe server. IBM is taking a revolutionary approach by
integrating separate platforms under the well-proven System z hardware
management capabilities, while extending System z qualities of service
to those platforms. The new Redbook from IBM discusses all the features and benefits of the IBM zEnterprise System. The eBook is available as a complimentary download, by clicking here.
If you're interested in zEnterprise 114, the new lower-priced version of the IBM solution, join us on Oct. 25th for a live webcast
on the topic featuring some well known bloggers. Hear from experts Alan Radding, renowned Mainframe blogger and author of the Dancing Dinosaur blog
as well as Bob Thomas, Editor
about how the mainframe market is changing and why it's the
right time to consider Mainframe for midmarket and beyond.
The new offerings include high-performance systems, networking and software products aimed at helping clients optimize data center operations with flexible, easy-to-deploy solutions to help reduce complexity, lower costs and deliver rapid return on investments.
Today, clients are looking for solutions that help them handle specific business challenges and make better use of existing IT infrastructures. More and more clients are turning to cloud computing, analytics and other smarter computing solutions to help their businesses grow. Cloud computing deployments are expected to grow more than 19% per year, according to IDC (1), and a recent IBM CIO study (2) showed cloud implementations nearly doubling from 33% to 60% over the last two years.
"From the design of the servers, software and services, IBM solutions are created to help accelerate the journey to Smarter Computing," said Adalio Sanchez, general manager, IBM System x business. "IBM is delivering easy-to-deploy cloud and analytics products to help clients align their businesses to manage unprecedented amounts of data, and become much more efficient at turning that information into timely business insights."
Among the solutions introduced is a new version of IBM's BladeCenter Foundation for Cloud (BCFC), an integrated virtualization platform with built-in system management and preconfigured with servers, storage, and networking. BladeCenter Foundation for Cloud is now powered by the new generation of IBM BladeCenter HS23 systems that offer 62% more compute power, and comes integrated with the new 10GbE Virtual Fabric technology that enables clients to run 20% more virtual machines, creating an optimal environment for building and deploying advanced cloud applications.
The increased bandwidth and up to four times more memory allows the HS23 to support faster data transfers that are essential to virtualized cloud and analytic workloads. In addition, IBM FastSetup for BladeCenter, a cost and time-saving console application can help clients reduce from days to hours the time it takes to complete large deployments. Bytemobile and German Leibniz Supercomputer Center Bet on IBM Cloud and Analytics California-based Bytemobile (http://bit.ly/wwxyCC) and Germany's Leibniz Supercomputing Center in Munich are among the first customers to purchase IBM next generation x86 systems. Santa Clara-based Bytemobile, a leading global provider of mobile Internet solutions for global wireless network operators, is using IBM BladeCenter HS23 servers as the foundation for its cloud computing implementation.
"With the new performance capabilities of the BladeCenter HS23 combined with our software, we are able to achieve two-and-a-half times the performance over our previous infrastructure," said Chris Koopmans, chief operating officer, Bytemobile. "The IBM solution allows us to process large amounts of network data more quickly and easily. Given the way that video traffic is exploding on mobile networks around the world, this is crucial in being able to provide customers an optimal, seamless end-user experience."
The Leibniz Supercomputing center provides supercomputing services to scientists in Munich, Bavaria, Germany and other parts of Europe. It is in the process of installing a new high-end supercomputer based on IBM System x iDataPlex technology, which will help scientists solve a broad range of challenging scientific problems.
"Our new iDataPlex-powered SuperMUC system will help enable the scientific community to test theories, design experiments and predict outcomes as never before," said Professor Dr. Arndt Bode, director of the LRZ supercomputing center. "In addition, the new SuperMUC system will be able to provide previously unattainable energy efficiency along with sustained performance."
IBM SmartCloud Solutions for Mid-sized Business Clients
IBM also introduced new and affordable SmartCloud solutions powered by its latest IBM System x 3650 M4 server, the most expandable, upgradeable system of its kind. The x3650 M4 demonstrated excellent performance on industry-standard benchmarks. It achieved a leadership two-processor score for SPECvirt_sc2010 benchmark (3), set a new record for two-processor server performance on TPC-E (4), more than 45% faster than the previous-generation result achieved by the HP ProLiant DL380 G7 server (5), and a leadership two-processor result on Windows on two-tier SAP SD standard application benchmark. (6) The System x 3650 M4 also comes with IBM eXFlash solid-state storage technology, bringing exclusive IBM enterprise-class storage capability to a two-socket rack server. The SSD technology enables 30 times more performance and a 90% increase in performance per watt for consolidating collaboration and database workloads. In addition, the new x3650 M4 system supports the IBM Smarter Analytics portfolio of offerings, a set of compact, integrated, single-analytics offerings supported by storage-dense System x two-socket systems running IBM InfoSphere Data Warehouse and Cognos business intelligence and performance management software. IBM's new portfolio of x86 computing solutions also include: The IBM System x iDataPlex dx360 M4, which offers significant flexibility for supporting a wide range of high-performance computing workloads. The system is designed for datacenters requiring high performance with limited floor space, and power and cooling infrastructure. Available with specially designed exclusive IBM warm water-cooled technology, this iDataPlex system is up to 40 percent more energy efficient than air-cooled systems, recovering 90 percent of heat per nodes. The IBM System x 3550 M4, a dense, feature-rich 1U server designed for data and business critical workloads, and the IBM System x3500 M4 tower that provides data center performance in a desktop package. The x3550 delivers four times more memory, more virtual machines, and improved networking performance in less space at a comparable price. The x3500 also offers four times the memory, plus 33% more storage capacity than prior generations. It is designed for quiet operation and fits easily under a desk or rack, making it ideal for office environments. IBM Feature on Demand across the IBM System x product line. Feature on Demand allows clients to activate or unlock features in the firmware or software on demand, providing customers the ability to grow their systems as they grow their businesses without the need for costly rip and replace. New Business Partner Incentives to Sell Client SolutionsThe IBM Solution Accelerator incentive is a new channel initiative to sell combined software and systems, and business solutions. It has two elements. First is a Software and Systems reward that amounts to a 5% incremental rebate for selling eligible IBM systems and a 15% percent incremental rebate for selling eligible software together to a single client. Secondly, a Business Solutions Reward offers an additional 10% rebate for selling a solution aimed at a particular IT challenge on eligible software content of the solution. Eligible solutions cover client needs such as turning information into insights, managing risk, security and compliance and social business. In addition, approximately 1% in fees can be earned when clients finance their solution through IBM Global Finance. The new products will begin shipping worldwide by March 16, 2012. About IBMFor additional information about IBM System x and BladeCenter solutions, visit: www.ibm.com/systems/x86/betterfuture
(1) IDC Worldwide Enterprise Server Cloud Computing 2011-2015 Forecast, doc #228916, June 2011.
(2) IBM 2011 Global CIO Study, "The Essential CIO".
(3) x3650 M4's result: overall performance score of SPECvirt_sc2010 2,158 @ 132 VMs. Configuration: 2 chips/16 cores/8 cores per chip, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2690 (2.9GHz with 20MB L3 cache per processor), 512GB of memory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux® 6.2 and Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) hypervisor. Result referenced is current as of March 6, 2012, and posted at http://www.spec.org/virt_sc2010/results/. View all results for SPEC benchmarks at http://www.spec.org/. SPEC and SPECvirt_sc are trademarks or registered trademarks of Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC).
4) x3650 M4's results: 1,863.23 tpsE (transactions per second E) at $207.85 USD / tpsE, total solution availability May 31, 2012. Configuration: 2 processors/16 cores/32 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2690 (2.9GHz with 20MB L3 cache per processor), 512GB of memory, Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition SP1. Results referenced are current as of March 6, 2012. View all TPC results at www.tpc.org. See the details for this result at http://www.tpc.org/tpce/results/tpce_last_ten_results.asp
(5) HP ProLiant DL380 G7 Server with Intel Xeon Processor X5690 (3.46GHz—2 processors/12 cores/24 threads, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition; 1,284.14 tpsE at $250.00 USD / tpsE, total solution availability of May 4, 2011. Results referenced are current as of March 6, 2012. To view all TPC results, visit www.tpc.org. TPC, TPC Benchmark, TPC-E and tpsE are trademarks of the Transaction Processing Performance Council. (6) IBM System x3650 M4's result of 7,855 SAP SD benchmark users on the two-tier SAP SD standard application benchmark: 2 processors/16 cores/32 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2690 (2.9GHz with 20MB L3 cache per processor), 128GB of memory, 64-bit DB2 9.7, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition, and SAP enhancement package 4 for SAP ERP 6.0. Certification number 2012---.
Results referenced are current as of March 6, 2012. View SAP benchmark results at http://www.sap.com/benchmark. SAP and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries.
IBM, System x™ and BladeCenter™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other company products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies in the U.S. and/or other countries.
The Next-Generation Virtual Fabric for IBM BladeCenter brings virtualization to the next level. On Sept. 22nd at 1:00 pm EST , IBM will be hosting a webcast to explain all the new features in this offering. Register now to hear about the new set of offerings enhances IBM BladeCenter's Virtual Fabric portfolio by supporting a full range of virtualization and convergence capabilities including vNICs (Virtual NICs), iSCSI, & FCoE. In addition, the Next-Generation Virtual Fabric provides clients choice by offering new adapters in the portfolio based on their needs, and extending Virtual Fabric support across all other 10Gb switches and various client infrastructures.
|Save the Date: Next-Generation Virtual Fabric for
|Event Date: 09/22/2011 01:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time|
This information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is based on current IBM product plans and strategy, which are subject to change by IBM without notice. IBM shall not be responsible for any damages arising out of the use of, or otherwise related to, this document. Nothing contained in this document is intended to, nor shall have the effect of, creating any warranties or representations from IBM (or its suppliers or licensors), or altering the terms and conditions of the applicable license agreement governing the use of IBM software.
IBM, the IBM logo, ibm.com, Smarter Planet and the planet icon are trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation, registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtm.
You're invited to join IBM's upcoming Defense Intelligence Technical Exchange Meeting
November 10th from 2:00 to 5:00 PMLocation
: The Sunset Room, 137 National Plaza, Third Floor, National Harbor, MD 20745Sponsors:
IBM’s Systems Technology Group (STG), Software Group (SWG), and NISC (National Interest Security Company), new wholly owned GBS subsidiary. Who Should Attend
: CIOs, Program Managers, Project Managers, IT Architects, Enterprise Architects, Software Architects, System Architects, Data Center Managers, and System Administrators, Click here to register now!
The Agenda for the Technical Exchange Meeting includes these timely topics:
- Extreme Processing: John Meyers, Executive IT Architect, will discuss how to replace legacy Sun Systems with Next Generation innovative Modular building blocks for processing and storage. IBM's Power 7 ™ and SONAS™ based solutions are exactly the right fit. IBM was the developer of the first Defense Intelligence Computer and the first disk drive. We know Extreme Processing. Let us demonstrate the best way to architect your next system and how to develop a scalable infrastructure.
- Cybersecurity: Dave McQueeny, CTO IBM Federal, will talk about new cutting edge cyber capabilities. STREAMS ™ helps organizations detect millions of access requests and make sense of sophisticated cyber attacks. Using Gaurdium™ database analysis tool you can identify unautho-rized access to database data. These break-through technologies along with IBM Internet Security Services organization allow a complete cyber capability.
- Entity Resolution and Data Management: Imagine connecting billions of records across systems giving analysts the data needed to connect the dots regardless of organizational and geo-political boundary, consider insider threat, or tribal disambiguation problem space for example. Dave McQueeny will highlight the IBM capabilities that exist today that will allow organizations to find a particular needle in a stack of needles.
- Advanced Real Time analytics: Dave McQueeny will outline how IBM has distinguished itself and is continuing to distinguish itself as the IT company that can help your organization make the jump from transactions to interactions, from perfecting your past to inventing your future, and from having to react to customers' changing needs to being able to anticipate and meet them. Cloud Computing: Dave McQueeny will highlight how using enterprise-caliber cloud integration for public, private and hybrid models can help you take advantage of IBM's cloud service delivery model without compromising security. See cloudburst automatic machine provisioning demonstration including workflow, scheduling, and deployment.
Stop by to meet your IBM Defense Intelligence Team and IBM Business Partners Brocade, Jeskell, Mainline Information Systems, and Sterling Computers. Come engage industry solution experts on industry best practices.
Let IBM show you Intelligent Infrastructure and Technology Solutions for a Smarter Planet!Click here to register now!
IBM is continuously looking for ways to enhance our products and solutions to meet our customer's need to keep pace with the rate of business change and expand their data storage needs. Towards that end, IBM is making a series of important announcements. Following is a brief summary of those announcements. To learn more, listen to the 15 minute webcast entitled, "Accelerate the Journey to Smarter Computing
News about IBM Storage Systems.
IBM delivers storage systems that analyze, adapt to, and improve application performance. Following are some of the enhancements.
The IBM System Storage DS8800 enterprise disk storage system with enhanced Easy Tier reduces costs while increasing performance with new 3-tier capability. The Storwize V7000 Unified also uses Easy Tier technology.
XIV Gen3 now supports three terabyte drives and can support active workloads for less than half the cost of competitive storage systems.
The Storwize V7000 Unified, an advanced mid-ranger storage server offers file and block storage on the same system with a world-class user interface.
News about Cloud Infrastructure Solutions
• IBM is launching new, easy to deploy starter kits that allow clients to respond to changing business demands and quickly move to cloud models. The Starter Kits for Cloud for x86 and Power dramatically increase IT efficiency for customers through standardization and lower operating costs.
• The zEnterprise Starter Edition for Cloud offers customers an entry-level infrastructure as a service delivery model for Linux on System z with Tivoli Provisioning Manager.
• IBM Active Cloud Engine moves files where they're needed and when they're needed. Active Cloud Engine gives companies fast access to billions of files and dramatically improves the management and efficiency of cloud storage.
• IBM Systems Software delivers new cloud-ready capabilities that improve system utilization up to 50% and reduce time to deploy new workloads by 90% with advanced virtualization management. Systems Director VMControl V2.4 offers virtual image management capabilities for System z, System x and Power Systems users.
• Enhanced IBM System Networking offerings improve private cloud network speed, intelligence and TCO through new persistence of connectivity for VM Migration, using standards-based VMready.
• IBM is also enhancing support and offerings for Business Partners, helping them to build clouds for their clients. Check out IBM Partnerworld for all the details.
News about business analytics and reporting services featuring affordable entry-level solutions.
• With the introduction of new, all-in-one cost-effective analytics systems across our server platforms, IBM is providing companies with business analytics and reporting services to help them make faster and better business decisions.
• The IBM Smart Analytics System 5710 for System x users provides warehousing and analytics capabilities at an attractive entry point.
• The IBM Smart Analytics System 7710, built on POWER7 technology and IBM data warehouse management software and storage, is an affordable, integrated solution that can deliver analytics projects at half the price of the 7700.
• The IBM Smart Analytics Systems 9700 and 9710 utilize innovative technologies to deliver an end-to-end data warehouse and business intelligence solution on zEnterprise mainframes.
• The DB2 Analytics Accelerator is an appliance Netezza-based system that plugs into DB2 for z/OS on a z196 server to speed response time for a wide variety of complex queries.
News about IBM Power Systems: new optimized systems that are tuned to the task for businesses of all sizes.
• A number of enhancements to IBM's Systems Director family are designed to optimize workloads for systems by increasing IT staff productivity by up to 20%, reducing IT administration costs by up to 42% and reducing energy costs by up to 20%. For example, new capabilities in Systems Director V6.3 simplify usability and database management functions and improve performance and scalability.
• Enhancements to the Power Express server lineup, along with the Power 770, feature the latest industry I/O standards and deliver twice the throughput in the same physical and energy footprint. The Power 780 now offers up to 96 POWER7 processor cores, plus doubled memory, ideal for high throughput and big data analytics projects.
• Two new, entry-level System x servers -- the System x3100 M4 and System x3250 M4 -- feature low prices for clients who value server-class dependability, serviceability and security. The System x3755 M3, based on AMD Opteron technology, is designed for High Performance Computing and mid-size workloads such as database, business intelligence and ERP.
• IBM is expanding the application portfolio of zEnterprise, fulfilling a statement of direction to support Microsoft Windows on HX5 blades as part of the zEnterprise BladeCenter Extension (zBX) offering.
• Use storage efficiency as a foundation for unlocking insights and making better decisions
To get more details on all the announcements, visit the IBM.com announcements page.
This year's IBM Power Systems
at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, is your consolidated
resource, and remains the year's premier event, for the latest information about
IBM Power Systems™, IBM POWER7®, IBM AIX®, IBM System i® and IBM Power Systems
on Linux products. This year's university features more than 400 in-depth
"how-to" technical sessions and hands-on labs led by IBM product expert and
developers. New this year are in-depth sessions on the recent IBM PureSystems
announcement and the new IBM PureFlex™ System. This is a conference that you
don't want to miss!
Conference highlights include: ·
Hear keynotes and
discussions about future product strategy and technical direction directly from IBM executives and IBM product architects, including the latest about IBM
virtualization and its availability for IBM Power
communities of interest at birds-of-a-feather discussions and panel
Test-drive the latest
technology in hands-on demos, labs and workshops·
Obtain training based on the latest IBM
of the 50 percent discount for on-site certification testing, including
the recently announced certification for IBM PureSystems
Also happening in Vegas this fall is the System Z Technical University. This
|4.5-day IBM System z Technical University, is the premier IBM® System z® event, featuring the latest IBM zEnterprise®, IBM z/OS®, IBM z/VM®, IBM z/VSE® and Linux on System z information you need and want. In 2012, the university features expanded coverage of System z software, including IBM DB2®, IBM CICS®, IBM WebSphere®, IBM WebSphere MQ, IBM IMS®, IBM Cognos® and more. In addition, if your specialty is IBM System z security or IBM System Storage®, this year’s technical university features several sessions dedicated to these topics. |
New speakers are still being added! See the Keynote Speakers section on the IBM System z Technical University website for the latest updates!
Gain a wealth of information at updated and new sessions for 2012
Whether your System z interests are broad, or finely tuned to a specific System z product, this must-attend event brings you vital information through a multitude of lecture and hands-on sessions built around the most up-to-date IBM System z solutions and industry innovations. Here are just a few of the new and updated tracks and sessions for this information-packed event.
· System z strategies for cloud and smarter computing
· Begin with the basics—valuable sessions ideal for training new
· New track! Application Infrastructure on System z
|· New track! Business Analytics and Data Management on System z—a full week of sessions on|
DB2 software and will cover IMS software
· IBM zEnterprise® System Planning and Implementation
· System z Security
· IBM z/OS and IBM Parallel Sysplex® Implementation
· IBM z/OS Performance Management
· z/VM 6.2
· Linux on System z
· IBM z/VSE
· Storage Systems
For up-to-the-minute updates, see the Highlights and Featured Sessions section on the IBM System z Technical University web page.
| IBM Power of AIX Webcast Series
Your business needs to evolve; shouldn't your IT too?
IBM® AIX® operating system and IBM Power SystemTM platform have been equipped with new capabilities to enhance business resiliency and competitiveness.
Attend this informative, three part webcast series and learn how your business can leverage your investment on Power systems.
Session 1: What's new with the Power Systems Software Portfolio?
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
2p.m. EST, 11a.m. PST
Learn how these new enhancements create a more efficient and resilient environment.
Session 2: Power Systems Optimized for Analytics
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
2p.m. EST, 11a.m. PST
See how Watson's game-changing analytics technology can benefit your business.
Session 3: Why AIX on Power is the right platform for you
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
1p.m. EST, 10a.m. PST
Gain insight via an in depth study on the advantages of AIX on Power over Linux on x86.
Please forward to your colleagues.
This information is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is based on current IBM product plans and strategy, which are subject to change by IBM without notice. IBM shall not be responsible for any damages arising out of the use of, or otherwise related to, this document. Nothing contained in this document is intended to, nor shall have the effect of, creating any warranties or representations from IBM (or its suppliers or licensors), or altering the terms and conditions of the applicable license agreement governing the use of IBM software.
IBM, the IBM logo, ibm.com, Let's Build a Smarter Planet and Smarter Planet, Power AIX and the planet icon are trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation, registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the web at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.
Save the Date: July 19th Disaster Recovery and Business Resiliency Solutions Webcast
Given the recent natural disasters that have hit the U.S. and the world, it is essential for clients to have a robust business resiliency strategy. Planning in advance helps to reduce the impact of systems outages arising due to large scale disasters. One way to get ahead of disasters, before they strike, is to replicate business critical data across multiple sites with automation for remote locations. This applies to businesses of any size with multiple sites, regional operations or wherever decentralization of data is desired.
IBM will be hosting a Disaster Recovery and Business Resiliency Solutions web event to help you plan for disasters in a preventative, rather than reactive way. This webcast will included a customer case study from Dick Cosby Senior System Administrator, EDPS.
Register for this event on July 19th at noon EST, 9 am PST.
This program is designed to help organizations that:
1) Have no existing Disaster Recovery (DR) strategy in place
2) Are worried about recent natural disasters and if their current DR strategy and hardware in place is effective enough
3) Have multiple data centers and looking for assistance in design and implementation of business resiliency solutions.
In this session attendees will learn about:
- New approaches to build disaster recovery solutions
- Software subsystems enabling business resiliency in multi-site configurations
- Data Replications Strategies to mitigate impact of systems outages
- Services offerings for implementation disaster recovery solutions
- Best Practices from a Client Case Study
Speakers for this webcast include:
- Steve Finnes, IBM Power Systems HA Product Offering Manager, Project Executive
Dick Cosby Senior System Administrator, EDPS
Primitivo Cervantes, IBM Systems &Technology Group, Systems Agenda Delivery
Register today .
Join the IBM Systems & Technology Group at the Gartner Data Center Conference and learn how smarter computing strategies can help you gain insight, manage growth and leverage new technologies. The Gartner Data Center
29th Annual Event takes place at Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, NV on December 6-9, 2010.
Attend and take advantage of these benefits:
- Exclusive private meetings with IBM executives
- On-site demos and best practice sessions from IBM subject matter experts
- Customer Case Study speaking session
- A private networking event at a special location
- Sessions on Cloud Computing and Virtualization
Visit the IBM Booth Z to see the latest in IBM systems and solutions. Take a tour of the Portable Modular Data Center; a turnkey data center built for any environment for remote, temporary, mobile and raised floor expansion solutions.
Be sure to look for these IBM Speaker Sessions during the event:
- Matt Collins, Vice President, IBM Smarter Business Initiatives
"Smarter computing delivers better economics"
- Steve Sams, Vice President, IBM Site and Facilities Services
"Blueprint for data center efficiency "
- Kevin Muha, Enterprise Architect and Technology Manager of Storage Services, UPMC
"Univ. of Pittsburgh Medical Center Maximizes Storage Efficiency with IBM"
Please contact your IBM representative for more information and to arrange a meeting at the conference. We want to see our customers in Las Vegas at the show. Follow us on Twitter at @IBMSTG
to get real-time conference updates!