Modified by Mary Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
Join IBM April 8, 2014, for a Livestream a landmark event that will take place in New York City. IBM will be making a series of announcements to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Mainframe. The event will highlight breakthroughs in business, industry and society driven by the Mainframe, and the strategic role it will continue to play in the future. RSVP to save the date now.
The event features a great lineup of IBM speakers and IBM Customers sharing new announcements, research projects, best practices and breakthrough business innovation enabled by the IBM Mainframe.
IBM Senior Vice Presidents Steve Mills, Colleen Arnold, Tom Rosamilia, and John Kelly, and IBM General Manager for System z Pat Toole
Client speakers from Visa, CitiBank and Business Connexion
Researchers from Yale University
Students, the future generation of IT
The event will highlight the strategic role of the mainframe and its evolution in enabling:
Industry-changing missions that make the extraordinary possible
Reinvention to transform your business
Secure data and the exponential growth of data and transactions
RSVP to block your calendar now!
Make the extraordinary possible: IBM Mainframe50
April 8, 2014
2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET
Broadcast via Livestream
Visit the event website: RSVP to receive a notification when the Livestream is about to begin and you will also be prompted to add this event to your calendar.
Modified by Mary Hall email@example.com
Cloud, analytics and mobile aren’t just changing the way you compute, they’re changing the way you do business with customers. To succeed in today’s world, you must meet customers’ demands the first time, every time, any time and anywhere. To tackle such challenges, IBM is launching an enhanced zEnterprise® .
Register for the July 23 announcement webcast and see how zEnterprise can help:
Energize your enterprise applications to foster growth
Save money by consolidating workloads and exploiting the cloud
Improve security with the industry’s most trusted and resilient infrastructure
Improve performance, flexibility and scale
Speakers will include:
Doug Balog, GM of IBM System z
Stephen Leonard, GM of IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dennis C. Bancod, Senior Executive Vice President, Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation (RCBC)
Larry Fitch, Senior Operations Executive at Jack Henry & Associates)
James Meara, IT Executive of White Cube.
It’s your opportunity to learn how to improve customer service, reduce costs, fuel business growth and more.
Save the date of July 23rd on your calendar and register today!
Modified by Mary Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
Software-Defined Storage Webcast: Join IBM on May 15th & Bring Questions
If you're trying to store more, but literally running out of space in your data center, you'll want to join IBM for a live webcast on May 15th to hear about the Storwize family.
IT infrastructures have become onerously complex. Optimizing server-storage architectures for growth and manageability is challenging, and while tiered storage design can help to mitigate some of these issues, it can be difficult and costly to implement. Data mobility between and among various systems, along with a proliferation of isolated and often dissimilar management tools only compounds the problem. Meanwhile, organizations struggle to contain the spiraling costs of storage and storage management. A lack of storage virtualization in many environments also inhibits the ability of server and network virtualization to help improve overall asset utilization and drive out cost.
Join us on this webcast to learn how IBM Smarter Storage stands up to these challenges and allows organizations to optimize storage for today and tomorrow, while driving out cost and improving service levels. You'll see how the IBM Storwize family of storage solutions leverages advanced functionality like heterogeneous virtualization, real-time compression of live production data, consistent, simplified management tools and intelligent automated flash optimization to maximize efficiency while improving performance and reducing cost. These are family values that can truly improve user experience and create real economic value at the same time.
Register now to learn more.
Date: Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Time: 10:00 AM PT / 12:00 PM CT / 1:00 PM ET
Duration: 60 minutes
Date: Thursday, December 6, 2012
Time: 1:00pm ET / 12:00pm CT / 10:00am PT
Duration: 60 minutes
Every IT manager knows that under utilized data center assets can quickly run up costs. But what do you do about it? On top of the space and energy they require, there's the additional administrative and software expenses . The more components you have the more complex your system can become. Sometiimes a standard virtualized cloud platform may appear to be an answer. But for organizations deploying clouds there's a more cost-effective solution—IBM® zEnterprise and Linux. Built with an advanced z/VM® O/S, this platform is designed to offer greater TCO for large scale consolidation, better service quality, built-in resiliency and easy-to-use functionality. Register for this live webcast
to hear the benefits of the powerful combination of IBM zEnterprise and Linux.
Our speakers will discuss how IBM zEnterprise and Linux offer a flexible, robust solution to:
• Handle today's ever-changing and increasing workloads
• Transform IT economics and save you up to 50% in costs
• Provide the agility and performance to give you leverage in your marketplace
• Help you master your technology to get a better ROI
IBM's Enterprise Systems for Smarter Computing Seminar SeriesThe next generation of zEnterprise, Power Systems and Smarter Storage designed to help you work smarter to save time and costs
This fall IBM is inviting our clients across the United States to a series seminars to highlight the benefits of IBM's Smarter Computing portfolio. Smarter Computing is a new approach to IT transformation in an information-centric era. It helps IT leaders seize the opportunities of a smarter planet by thinking differently about the way their organizations can manage IT as a cloud, unlock the power of Big Data, and secure critical information and business processes. Explore the full portfolio of IBM systems optimized for cloud, data and security that uniquely address clients’ evolving needs for an IT infrastructure that enables a Smarter Planet. Enterprise Systems for Smarter Computing Event Highlights
Highlights of these events include breakout sessions on :
- IBM Power Systems: Get the details on how the Power Systems platform designed for data, achieves high performance and can be managed with cloud technologies
- z Enterprise : Learn about IBM's new model, the zEnterprise EC12, has strengthened the traditional mainframe’s skill of reliably and securely handling vast volumes of transactions.
- IBM Storage: Hear how Real Time Compression and the new Linear Tape File System can help you optimize your systems to maximize storage space and optimize productivity.
Virtual Event Replay, Listen On Demand
||Virtual Event |
IBM is gearing up for another great showing at VMWorld this week in San Francisco, CA.
The show is on this week in San Francisco at Moscone Center, August 26 to 30. Stop by booth #1772 to see IBM solutions and demonstrations on the show floor. Demonstrations in the IBM Booth will include: VDI (VMware View), Virtual SAP Business Solutions, Cognos Business Intelligence, IBM Big Data Platform, IBM PureFlex, IBM PureApplication, System X and Blade Center Rack plus IBM Storage XIV . The IBM Booth is open during these show hours:
|Sunday, August 26
||4:00pm - 7:00pm|
|Monday, August 27
||10:30am - 6:00pm|
|Tuesday, August 28
||10:30am - 6:00pm|
|Wednesday, August 29
||10:00am - 5:00pm|
Join us for these IBM speaking sessions at VMWorld to learn more about IBM offerings, and be entered to win an iPad. That's right, an iPad! IBM Business Partner QLogic is sponsoring this super giveaway so be sure to save these dates for the sessions as you must be present to win.
IT departments are going through massive changes as they pursue cloud computing models. Speakers: Mahesh Viswanathan - Distinguished Engineer, IBM & Lonnie Haynes, IBM Distinguished Engineer.
Are you missing windows of opportunity for adopting new and innovative business solutions? Attend this informative session to find out. Speakers: Bala Rajaraman - IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Tivoli software, IBM Pratik Gupta, Distinguished Engineer and Chief Architect for Service Availability, Performance Management and Virtualization Management, IBM.
Building custom cloud environments can be challenging, getting them up and running can take weeks to months. Speaker: John Borkenhagen - CTO System x and Blade Center, IBM.
To learn more about IBM solutions, check datasheets, demos and more online in the IBM VMWorld Virtual Event Center.
Whether you are at VMWorld, or looking in via social networks, you can follow all the IBM updates on Twitter by searching or following the hashtags #IBM #VMWorld.
Are you interested in simplifying your IT Systems and reducing your expenses? Then you'll want to learn more about IBM PureSystems. Join IBM and Industry Analyst, Charles King from Pund-IT, Inc on Sept 6th to learn why the IBM PureFlex System is the next smart step in the evolution of Enterprise IT. You'll hear about the IBM PureFlex System unique capabilities, advantages, and hear real world client case study scenarios. The PureFlex System combines compute, storage, networking, virtualization and management into a single infrastructure system that is expert at sensing and anticipating resource needs to optimize your infrastructure. Register to attend now!
If you're an IBM Customer or Business Partner, you'll want to have these upcoming web events on your calendar. In the next few weeks, IBM will be rolling out a series of web seminars featuring analysts, IBM Customer Case studies and IBM experts. Each event will be unique and offer insights and best practices to help your make informed IT Decisions. Most importantly, each event features a live QA session to allow listeners to interact with the expert presenters. Save the date for these upcoming sessions.
Sept. 11th: Virtualization and Cloud in a Power Systems Environment, featuring IDC Analyst Jean BozmanJoin us on Sept, 11th for a live webcast: Virtualization and Cloud in a Power Systems Environment, featuring IDC Analyst Jean Bozman Listen to this webcast to learn how organizations can:
· Deliver services with superior economics by consolidating virtualized workloads
· Deliver services faster by automating deployment of virtual machines and storage
· Optimize utilization of server and storage resources to control cost and boost ROI
Register for this webcast, and bring your questions for our experts and IDC's Jean Bozman.
Sept. 19th: Enable Your Business with IBM PureSystems
Leaping ahead of the pack - IBM PureSystems sets the bar for integrated expert systems. Clients have told us they are under great pressure to add and deliver IT services faster and with lower total cost of ownership while maintaining qualities of service they have come to rely on. Register now to join IBM for this 50 minute webcast and learn how IBM PureSystems exceeds other offerings in the market by delivering expert integrated solutions infrastructure.
Replay Available On Demand: Forrester's Total Economic Impact Study of Virtualized Storage. Hear the results that can help you save time and money to make your datacenter more efficient.
IBM is sponsoring a webcast with Information Week to explain the
results of Forrester's Total Economic Impact Study of Virtualized
Storage. Jon Erickson, from Forrester Research, will review the findings
from IBM SAN Volume Control (SVC) users studied as part of the recently
completed Forrester Total Economic Impact Study of IBM System Storage
SAN Volume Controller. Register now.
Replay Available On Demand: Does Your Virtualization Platform Matter?
all virtualization solutions are created equal? Think again. This
webcast discusses the real-world impact on businesses that deploy IBM’s
PowerVM® virtualization technology as compared to those using Oracle® VM
for SPARC (OVM SPARC), Microsoft® Hyper-V, VMware® vSphere or other
competing products. Tune into this webcast to learn first-hand, the
finding from a Solitaire Interglobal study of over 61,000 customer sites
on the value of virtualization from a business perspective and how
IBM’s PowerVM provides real business value. Register now.
Replay Available On Demand: The new zEnterprise: Operational Analytics. Trusted Resiliency. Efficiency at Scale.
August 28, IBM is extending the zEnterprise platform to help large
enterprises reshape their customer experiences through information
centric computing and to deliver on key business initiatives that
deliver true client value. Join us on online on for this web event/announcement
IBM Executive and Customers Colony Brands, Swiss Colony, Citigroup and
Aron Hewitt will discuss how the new zEnterprise has transformed their
businesses. Rod Adkins, IBM Senior VP; Doug Balog, IBM GM and Jeff
Frey, IBM Fellow and CTO will introduce the next generation of
zEnterprise, the world’s fastest, most scalable and secure enterprise
system with the ability to integrate resources for operational
analytics, trusted resilience, and efficiency at an enterprise scale. Register now!
This year's IBM Power Systems
at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, is your consolidated
resource, and remains the year's premier event, for the latest information about
IBM Power Systems™, IBM POWER7®, IBM AIX®, IBM System i® and IBM Power Systems
on Linux products. This year's university features more than 400 in-depth
"how-to" technical sessions and hands-on labs led by IBM product expert and
developers. New this year are in-depth sessions on the recent IBM PureSystems
announcement and the new IBM PureFlex™ System. This is a conference that you
don't want to miss!
Conference highlights include: ·
Hear keynotes and
discussions about future product strategy and technical direction directly from IBM executives and IBM product architects, including the latest about IBM
virtualization and its availability for IBM Power
communities of interest at birds-of-a-feather discussions and panel
Test-drive the latest
technology in hands-on demos, labs and workshops·
Obtain training based on the latest IBM
of the 50 percent discount for on-site certification testing, including
the recently announced certification for IBM PureSystems
Also happening in Vegas this fall is the System Z Technical University. This
|4.5-day IBM System z Technical University, is the premier IBM® System z® event, featuring the latest IBM zEnterprise®, IBM z/OS®, IBM z/VM®, IBM z/VSE® and Linux on System z information you need and want. In 2012, the university features expanded coverage of System z software, including IBM DB2®, IBM CICS®, IBM WebSphere®, IBM WebSphere MQ, IBM IMS®, IBM Cognos® and more. In addition, if your specialty is IBM System z security or IBM System Storage®, this year’s technical university features several sessions dedicated to these topics. |
New speakers are still being added! See the Keynote Speakers section on the IBM System z Technical University website for the latest updates!
Gain a wealth of information at updated and new sessions for 2012
Whether your System z interests are broad, or finely tuned to a specific System z product, this must-attend event brings you vital information through a multitude of lecture and hands-on sessions built around the most up-to-date IBM System z solutions and industry innovations. Here are just a few of the new and updated tracks and sessions for this information-packed event.
· System z strategies for cloud and smarter computing
· Begin with the basics—valuable sessions ideal for training new
· New track! Application Infrastructure on System z
|· New track! Business Analytics and Data Management on System z—a full week of sessions on|
DB2 software and will cover IMS software
· IBM zEnterprise® System Planning and Implementation
· System z Security
· IBM z/OS and IBM Parallel Sysplex® Implementation
· IBM z/OS Performance Management
· z/VM 6.2
· Linux on System z
· IBM z/VSE
· Storage Systems
For up-to-the-minute updates, see the Highlights and Featured Sessions section on the IBM System z Technical University web page.
Data centers today are stretched to the limits with fast-paced business demands. On top of that, integrating and managing IT infrastructures can pose major challenges. Organizations need a new solution that consolidates servers and workloads without breaking the bank—and Linux, together with IBM® Enterprise Linux Server offers exactly that. Register for this informative webcast to hear IDC Vice President, Enterprise Servers, Jean Bozman's perspective on how you can overcome your IT challenges by optimizing workloads and lowering costs with an enterprise-wide Linux strategy, and gain “the flexibility of many and the efficiency of one.”
Register to attend this webcast to learn how IBM’s Enterprise Linux Server can:
- Offer large-scale consolidation with better service quality
- Virtualize and share all system resources with greater scalability
- Reduce the overall energy consumption and floor space
- Accelerate application development and deployment with ease
- Lower total cost per workload by up to 55%
Research Vice President, Enterprise Servers IDC Dennis Wunder
Executive IT Specialist , IBM
Next week, IBM will be hosting a unique web event. We'll be doing an industry roundtable, entitled the "IBM Private Cloud: Why Infrastructure Matters." What's the difference between an a roundtable web event and a webcast you might ask? Well, this roundtable is designed to be more interactive that a typical webcast. On a webcast, listeners typically hear a presentation and get to ask questions at the end. In this roundtable format, we'll be taking some commonly asked questions from IBM customers and asking them of our speakers, David Reine, Analyst at The Clipper Group and Annette Miller, Worldwide Cloud Development Executive at IBM.
These experts will share best practices for choosing an infrastructure that gets the most from your cloud. You'll see how you cannot only look forward to increased utilization and availability, but also to solutions that can be easily integrated into your existing resources—saving you from costly "rip and replace" disruptions. With a strong private cloud foundation, you can start driving high-levels of business value with new offerings and services.
Companies are already turning to the cloud to extract the greatest utilization and value from their IT investments. But some are finding that immature and insecure infrastructures are limiting the efficiency of their cloud. They're still waiting on the promise of a flexible, scalable and cost-effective environment.
Register for this informative industry roundtable to hear customers' frequently asked questions on the cloud answered by experts! And bring your own questions,
You're invited to join the "IBM Private Cloud: Why Infrastructure Matters" industry roundtable discussion on Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:00a.m. – 12:00p.m. ET.
Register for the industry roundtable today..
Join the industry roundtable,
"IBM Private Cloud: Why Infrastructure Matters"
Thursday, April 26, 2012
11:00a.m. – 12:00p.m. EDT.
2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m EST
11:00 pm - 12:30 pm PST
Smarter computing for a smarter planet. Join IBM for the launch of an entirely new category of computing, expert integrated systems
On April 11th, you're invited to join IBM
online for the launch of an entirely new category of computing, expert integrated systems. IBM will be introducing expert integrated systems featuring both hardware and software solutions. This new computing category is expected to help change the way you deploy, manage and fund IT.
Some of us know all too well how painful IT-related challenges can be. Sometimes it seems that every project is underfunded with limited resources to make it all work. With overburdened budgets and staffs that can mean that precious time is wasted . Organizations can spend billions of dollars on maintenance instead of innovation. IBM has heard from, you, our customers, that it was time to fundamentally rethink how we design and build systems. That's why we've been working to develop expert integrated systems to offer a solution that offers the flexibility of a general-purpose system with the simplicity of an appliance.
We're hoping that new integrated systmes designed by IBM
can get you up and running in as little as a few hours, cutting months off deployment times of new application projects. It’s all based on patterns of expertise, that you deploy as quickly and easily as you download and use apps on a smartphone. IBM's goal is to help customers acheive faster system set-up and application deployment time. Register for our virtual event to get all the details
and bring your questions. We want to hear from you!
The new offerings include high-performance systems, networking and software products aimed at helping clients optimize data center operations with flexible, easy-to-deploy solutions to help reduce complexity, lower costs and deliver rapid return on investments.
Today, clients are looking for solutions that help them handle specific business challenges and make better use of existing IT infrastructures. More and more clients are turning to cloud computing, analytics and other smarter computing solutions to help their businesses grow. Cloud computing deployments are expected to grow more than 19% per year, according to IDC (1), and a recent IBM CIO study (2) showed cloud implementations nearly doubling from 33% to 60% over the last two years.
"From the design of the servers, software and services, IBM solutions are created to help accelerate the journey to Smarter Computing," said Adalio Sanchez, general manager, IBM System x business. "IBM is delivering easy-to-deploy cloud and analytics products to help clients align their businesses to manage unprecedented amounts of data, and become much more efficient at turning that information into timely business insights."
Among the solutions introduced is a new version of IBM's BladeCenter Foundation for Cloud (BCFC), an integrated virtualization platform with built-in system management and preconfigured with servers, storage, and networking. BladeCenter Foundation for Cloud is now powered by the new generation of IBM BladeCenter HS23 systems that offer 62% more compute power, and comes integrated with the new 10GbE Virtual Fabric technology that enables clients to run 20% more virtual machines, creating an optimal environment for building and deploying advanced cloud applications.
The increased bandwidth and up to four times more memory allows the HS23 to support faster data transfers that are essential to virtualized cloud and analytic workloads. In addition, IBM FastSetup for BladeCenter, a cost and time-saving console application can help clients reduce from days to hours the time it takes to complete large deployments. Bytemobile and German Leibniz Supercomputer Center Bet on IBM Cloud and Analytics California-based Bytemobile (http://bit.ly/wwxyCC) and Germany's Leibniz Supercomputing Center in Munich are among the first customers to purchase IBM next generation x86 systems. Santa Clara-based Bytemobile, a leading global provider of mobile Internet solutions for global wireless network operators, is using IBM BladeCenter HS23 servers as the foundation for its cloud computing implementation.
"With the new performance capabilities of the BladeCenter HS23 combined with our software, we are able to achieve two-and-a-half times the performance over our previous infrastructure," said Chris Koopmans, chief operating officer, Bytemobile. "The IBM solution allows us to process large amounts of network data more quickly and easily. Given the way that video traffic is exploding on mobile networks around the world, this is crucial in being able to provide customers an optimal, seamless end-user experience."
The Leibniz Supercomputing center provides supercomputing services to scientists in Munich, Bavaria, Germany and other parts of Europe. It is in the process of installing a new high-end supercomputer based on IBM System x iDataPlex technology, which will help scientists solve a broad range of challenging scientific problems.
"Our new iDataPlex-powered SuperMUC system will help enable the scientific community to test theories, design experiments and predict outcomes as never before," said Professor Dr. Arndt Bode, director of the LRZ supercomputing center. "In addition, the new SuperMUC system will be able to provide previously unattainable energy efficiency along with sustained performance."
IBM SmartCloud Solutions for Mid-sized Business Clients
IBM also introduced new and affordable SmartCloud solutions powered by its latest IBM System x 3650 M4 server, the most expandable, upgradeable system of its kind. The x3650 M4 demonstrated excellent performance on industry-standard benchmarks. It achieved a leadership two-processor score for SPECvirt_sc2010 benchmark (3), set a new record for two-processor server performance on TPC-E (4), more than 45% faster than the previous-generation result achieved by the HP ProLiant DL380 G7 server (5), and a leadership two-processor result on Windows on two-tier SAP SD standard application benchmark. (6) The System x 3650 M4 also comes with IBM eXFlash solid-state storage technology, bringing exclusive IBM enterprise-class storage capability to a two-socket rack server. The SSD technology enables 30 times more performance and a 90% increase in performance per watt for consolidating collaboration and database workloads. In addition, the new x3650 M4 system supports the IBM Smarter Analytics portfolio of offerings, a set of compact, integrated, single-analytics offerings supported by storage-dense System x two-socket systems running IBM InfoSphere Data Warehouse and Cognos business intelligence and performance management software. IBM's new portfolio of x86 computing solutions also include: The IBM System x iDataPlex dx360 M4, which offers significant flexibility for supporting a wide range of high-performance computing workloads. The system is designed for datacenters requiring high performance with limited floor space, and power and cooling infrastructure. Available with specially designed exclusive IBM warm water-cooled technology, this iDataPlex system is up to 40 percent more energy efficient than air-cooled systems, recovering 90 percent of heat per nodes. The IBM System x 3550 M4, a dense, feature-rich 1U server designed for data and business critical workloads, and the IBM System x3500 M4 tower that provides data center performance in a desktop package. The x3550 delivers four times more memory, more virtual machines, and improved networking performance in less space at a comparable price. The x3500 also offers four times the memory, plus 33% more storage capacity than prior generations. It is designed for quiet operation and fits easily under a desk or rack, making it ideal for office environments. IBM Feature on Demand across the IBM System x product line. Feature on Demand allows clients to activate or unlock features in the firmware or software on demand, providing customers the ability to grow their systems as they grow their businesses without the need for costly rip and replace. New Business Partner Incentives to Sell Client SolutionsThe IBM Solution Accelerator incentive is a new channel initiative to sell combined software and systems, and business solutions. It has two elements. First is a Software and Systems reward that amounts to a 5% incremental rebate for selling eligible IBM systems and a 15% percent incremental rebate for selling eligible software together to a single client. Secondly, a Business Solutions Reward offers an additional 10% rebate for selling a solution aimed at a particular IT challenge on eligible software content of the solution. Eligible solutions cover client needs such as turning information into insights, managing risk, security and compliance and social business. In addition, approximately 1% in fees can be earned when clients finance their solution through IBM Global Finance. The new products will begin shipping worldwide by March 16, 2012. About IBMFor additional information about IBM System x and BladeCenter solutions, visit: www.ibm.com/systems/x86/betterfuture
(1) IDC Worldwide Enterprise Server Cloud Computing 2011-2015 Forecast, doc #228916, June 2011.
(2) IBM 2011 Global CIO Study, "The Essential CIO".
(3) x3650 M4's result: overall performance score of SPECvirt_sc2010 2,158 @ 132 VMs. Configuration: 2 chips/16 cores/8 cores per chip, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2690 (2.9GHz with 20MB L3 cache per processor), 512GB of memory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux® 6.2 and Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) hypervisor. Result referenced is current as of March 6, 2012, and posted at http://www.spec.org/virt_sc2010/results/. View all results for SPEC benchmarks at http://www.spec.org/. SPEC and SPECvirt_sc are trademarks or registered trademarks of Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC).
4) x3650 M4's results: 1,863.23 tpsE (transactions per second E) at $207.85 USD / tpsE, total solution availability May 31, 2012. Configuration: 2 processors/16 cores/32 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2690 (2.9GHz with 20MB L3 cache per processor), 512GB of memory, Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition SP1. Results referenced are current as of March 6, 2012. View all TPC results at www.tpc.org. See the details for this result at http://www.tpc.org/tpce/results/tpce_last_ten_results.asp
(5) HP ProLiant DL380 G7 Server with Intel Xeon Processor X5690 (3.46GHz—2 processors/12 cores/24 threads, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition; 1,284.14 tpsE at $250.00 USD / tpsE, total solution availability of May 4, 2011. Results referenced are current as of March 6, 2012. To view all TPC results, visit www.tpc.org. TPC, TPC Benchmark, TPC-E and tpsE are trademarks of the Transaction Processing Performance Council. (6) IBM System x3650 M4's result of 7,855 SAP SD benchmark users on the two-tier SAP SD standard application benchmark: 2 processors/16 cores/32 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2690 (2.9GHz with 20MB L3 cache per processor), 128GB of memory, 64-bit DB2 9.7, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition, and SAP enhancement package 4 for SAP ERP 6.0. Certification number 2012---.
Results referenced are current as of March 6, 2012. View SAP benchmark results at http://www.sap.com/benchmark. SAP and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries.
IBM, System x™ and BladeCenter™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other company products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies in the U.S. and/or other countries.
IBM has announced 55 new and updated server and storage technologies that can help clients gain actionable insights from data, increase IT capacity and deliver new services faster to create profitable business opportunities. This blog post offers a short summary of all the announcements by area of interest. The new and enhanced offerings include affordable business analytics systems, automated tools for implementing security and compliance standards, and starter kits for establishing private clouds.
As the world’s increasing demand for data and services puts a strain on IT resources, organizations become trapped in a vicious cycle in which a rigid IT infrastructure and lack of trusted data leads to reactive or risky decision making. Attempts to overcome these challenges through additional IT investments often result in a more sprawling and costly infrastructure.
The new offerings, highlighted below, address these challenges with smarter computing technologies for business analytics, integrated storage, optimized systems and virtualized data centers.
Designed for Data
Companies that handle vast amounts of information need to be able to analyze that data to make better business decisions in real time. IBM is delivering new entry-level business analytics systems, accelerated database analytics and expanded data storage options. Highlights include:
- IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator incorporates the Netezza data warehouse appliance into the IBM zEnterprise System for faster analytic responses. The blending of Netezza and System z technologies enables the merging of online transaction processing (OLTP) systems, which facilitate and manage transaction-oriented applications typically for data entry and retrieval transaction processing, with analytics into a single platform for operational business analytics. The appliance plugs into IBM DB2 for z/OS database on zEnterprise 196 (or z114) and is designed to speed response time for a wide variety of intensive analytics, which ultimately can provide faster business analysis. At a time when organizations are demanding access to customer purchase histories, customer behaviors and real time sales trends, IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator helps clients sift through this massive amount of data and make the information relevant and actionable in a timelier manner.
- IBM Smart Analytics System 9700 and IBM Smart Analytics System 9710 utilize innovative technologies to deliver an end-to-end data warehouse and business intelligence solution on IBM zEnterprise System. The new systems can support a data distribution hub, transactional analysis platforms and modernized reporting systems, or provide a framework for comprehensive predictive analytics. IBM clients can now build a mainframe-based operational business analytics solution at an entry-level price.
- IBM POWER7 processor-based IBM Smart Analytics System 7710 and x86 processor-based IBM Smart Analytics System 5710 are single server, all-in-one systems that deliver business analytics and reporting services faster and at a lower cost than previous IBM integrated solutions. Engineered for the rapid deployment of business-ready solutions in days and not months, they offer a breadth of capabilities including business intelligence reporting, analysis, dashboards, data mining, cubing services and text analytics.
- IBM Storwize V7000 Unified midrange disk system brings efficiency and simplicity to data storage with file and block storage located on the same system with a world-class graphical user interface. It provides automatic policy-driven movement of files to the desired drive type to help manage costs and simplify administration, the ability to either scale within a system or scale out by clustering two systems together, and enhanced remote mirroring options.
- IBM System Storage DS8000 Release 6.2 enterprise disk systems introduce greater performance and improved capacity optimization capabilities that allow organizations to manage diverse workloads efficiently and automatically without administrator involvement. Easy Tier enhancements include automated data migration across three-tiers of storage, as well as automated data rebalancing within a single tier, which can help clients improve performance where and when it’s needed. Moreover, with only two parameters to set, Easy Tier is easy to set up and manage.
- IBM XIV Storage System Gen3 enterprise disk system was introduced in July with an advanced hardware upgrade that can improve performance for the most demanding workloads. Now, IBM is adding support for 3TB disk drives that increase capacity by 50 percent in the same physical footprint and enable an increase in usable capacity of up to 243TB per rack (based on IBM internal measurements). IBM is offering several other innovations such as the IBM XIV Mobile Dashboard, an Apple iPad application available at no cost that enables XIV system status to be monitored from anywhere. Separately, IBM this week announced the first Storage Performance Council (SPC) result with the XIV Storage System as part of the SPC’s announcement of the new energy extensions for SPC-2 (SPC-2/E) and SPC-2C (SPC-2C/E). XIV Storage System produced an SPC-2/E result which demonstrated its ability to handle Big Data as well as providing associated energy use data. The SPC-2/E result shows the XIV Storage System provides outstanding enterprise price-performance, in addition to Large File Processing (LFP) performance that is faster than all SPC-2 submissions from competing vendors to date.(1)
Tuned to the Task
Systems that are optimized across the infrastructure and tuned for specific tasks enable businesses of all sizes to achieve superior economics. IBM is providing new technologies that automate security and compliance of virtualized environments and multi-system virtualization capabilities to reduce cumbersome IT sprawl. Highlights include:
- IBM PowerSC technology provides automated tools for security and compliance of virtualized environments on Power Systems running PowerVM virtualization technology. Centrally managed reporting for compliance measurement and audit can reduce the cost of cloud computing security in virtualized data centers. Clients can automatically apply security profiles and generate reports about compliance, which can reduce administrative costs involved in configuring and auditing systems that require particular industry standards.
- IBM z/VM 6.2 offers new multi-system virtualization capabilities within the software to help clients avoid virtual machine sprawl. Up to four instances of z/VM can be clustered together as members in a Single System Image, where they can be managed as a single z/VM system and share system resources.
- IBM Systems Director v6.3 includes improvements in performance, scalability and usability for simplified management of optimized systems. Enhancements in the new version include simplified usability functions and fewer installation steps, the ability to manage more endpoints from a single interface, and streamlined database management with an embedded DB2 database.
Managed in the Cloud
IBM cloud infrastructure solutions can accelerate deployment and maximize efficiency of businesses who want to achieve rapid, flexible delivery of high value services. IBM now offers solutions that help clients easily establish virtualized data center environments, scale cloud file systems more efficiently and improve system utilization. Highlights include:
- IBM SmartCloud Entry solution, delivered by IBM Starter Kit for Cloud, offers the building blocks to create private clouds on virtualized IBM System x and Power Systems hardware. The solution provides simplified initialization and administration for cloud environments on Power and x86 systems, standardization of virtual machines and improved operations productivity with an easy-to-use, self-service interface. Organizations can also quickly and easily scale to more advanced cloud solutions as business demands and workloads increase. See related October 12, 2011 press release, “IBM Introduces New Portfolio of Private Cloud Offerings.”
- zEnterprise Starter Edition for Cloud offers customers an entry-level Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud delivery model for Linux on System z with Tivoli Provisioning Manager. This easy-to-deploy, highly secure, resilient turn-key “cloud in a box” extends the scope of the enterprise cloud with centralized management of the entire zEnterprise system.
- IBM BladeCenter Foundation for Cloud is a comprehensive, converged cloud computing platform that combines server, storage, networking and management technology that allows clients to quickly create an x86-based virtualization environment that is simple to deploy, manage and scale. BladeCenter Foundation for Cloud comes in three sizes – small, medium and large – designed to fit the business needs of any size business, based on budget, storage size or performance, and is capable of helping smoothly manage a typical multi-rack datacenter as if powered by a single chassis.
- IBM Active Cloud Engine scales cloud file systems efficiently by moving files where and when they are needed. It gives companies fast access to billions of files and dramatically improves the management and efficiency of cloud storage. Capabilities for global clouds are available on IBM Scale-Out Network Attached Storage R 1.3 (SONAS) and for mid-sized clouds on Storwize V7000 Unified systems.
- IBM Systems Director VMControl 2.4 now offers extended virtual image management and system resource pool capabilities on System x for Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM), the next generation open source hypervisor. The new cloud-ready virtualization capabilities help improve system utilization and reduce time to deploy new workloads.
- IBM System Networking delivers smarter data center networking with faster, flexible and standards-based solutions designed to increase performance while helping to reduce costs, space, power and complexity for public and private clouds, as well as analyzing big data. New offerings include IBM 16Gbps Fibre Channel SAN backbones and switches that can ease migration to private clouds, the new 1.28Tb/sec 40GbE IBM RackSwitch G8316 that helps flatten networks for better performance and simplicity, the OpenFlow-enabled 10/40GbE IBM RackSwitch G8264 to increase client control, iFlow Director for high performance, low cost IBM BladeCenter-based appliances for mobile and Web 2.0 applications, and the new IBM Networking Operating System for today’s dynamic, virtualized data centers.
Financing provided by IBM Global Financing, the lending and leasing arm of IBM, helps credit-qualified clients make the transition to smarter computing with zero percent financing for servers, storage and software or deferred payments up to six months. Financing helps clients accelerates their cash flow break-even point by spreading upfront costs over time, enabling them to utilizing cash reserves for other strategic investments. For more information on IBM’s financing options, visit http://www.ibm.com/financing/us/lifecycle/acquire/hardware.
It has been said that if you can't measure it, you can't manage it. Developing a centralized business analytics infrastructure that is highly reliable and secure can save money and increase productivity. It's a fact that business analytics can provide the insight users need to make adjustments, prevent slowdowns and enhance business effectiveness.
Download the white paper, Clabby Analytics/Enterprise Computing Advisors: Choosing IBM zEnterprise for Next Gen Business Analytics Applications from independent analysts Brad Day of Enterprise Computing Advisors and Joe Clabby of Clabby Analytics to learn:
- How running business analytics workloads on IBM System z can lead to greatly improved business process flows, resulting in more business and improved customer service.
- How to effectively deploy Business Analytic Applications.
- How placing data into a common repository where multiple decision makers, suppliers, and customers can access that data can facilitate business decisions.
If you missed IBM at the recent Information on Demand show (IOD 2012), then you'll want to read this complimentary paper. The IBM Smart Analytics System 9700 / 9710
generated a lot of interest with our customers at IOD after it was announced on October 12th in conjunction with the IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator. This new version of the IBM Smart Analytics System has been completely refreshed to create the ultimate transactional analytics workhorse
. It is hybrid ready to provide a single transactional and deep analytics server when combined with the DB2 Analytics Accelerator. With the 9710 model it provides a starter configuration, at an extremely attractive price point, allowing them to start small with low risk and grow their analytics environments incrementally.
IBM is preparing to exhibit and demonstrate their Portable Mobile Datacenter pictured on the left, (PMDC) at the Gartner Group Data Center Conference Dec. 5-7, 2011. The conference will be held in Las Vegas at Caesars Palace. Among the superstar presenters at the show will be Steve Sams, IBM Vice President of IBM Site and Facilities Service. Last year, Mr. Sams spoke to a standing room only crowd at the conference about best practices for developing cost-effective and efficient data centers to support business growth. According to Steve, "60 percent of Data Center savings come from smart mechanical and electrical savings." He reminded the crowd to plan for efficiency in the "design phase of a project." He also recommends the use of "server virtualization analytics" in planning for an optimized, productive data center. Look for Steve Sam's session on Monday Dec. 5th at lunch time during the conference. Following are full details.
Monday Dec 5, Lunchtime Speaking Session: 11:45 pm – 12:15 pm, Octavius 12
Title: "Watson and your Data Center "
Abstract:Analytics have been used by CEO’s to improve business performance. What if analytics-based services could be applied to improving your IT performance? Addressing unpredictable demands from business, technology and compute models are challenges we face. Learn how to leverage Watson-like analytic approaches to provide flexible, cost-effective data center solutions. Analytics can be used to better align IT to the business needs, optimize server, storage and network utilization and improve data center design.
Speaker Name: Steven Sams, VP, Site and Facilities Services, IBM
Other IBM Speaking sessions at the conference include:
Monday Dec 5, Solution Provider Session: 2:45 pm – 3:45 pm, Augustus 5
Title: "University of Rochester Medical Center Cracks the Code on Data Growth"
Medical Imaging is changing the dynamics of data storage with over 20% annual growth and no end in sight. The challenge for The University of Rochester Medical Center was to keep up with their data growth while containing costs. Rick Haverty will discuss how his team built a storage strategy that transformed their environment to bring savings right to their bottom line without sacrificing the speed, criticality and performance requirements of their imaging and EMR systems.
Speaker: Rick Haverty,: Director of Infrastructure, University of Rochester Medical Center
Speaker: Tony Pearson
,IBM Master Inventor and Senior IT Management Consultant
Tuesday, Dec 6, Speaking Session: 4:15 pm – 5:15 pm
CIOs and Storage -- Strategies and Solutions
In 2010 and 2011, IBM storage consultants conducted a series of analyses on enterprise storage environments around the world. These efforts uncovered interesting trends in storage management strategies, shared challenges, as well as design trends that yielded positive results in controlling costs and improving usage efficiency in storage environments. Come learn about what challenges CIOs face with regard to storage management, and IBM's blueprint for taking the next steps towards a smart storage infrastructure.
Speaker Name: Barry Becker, Manager, Global SO Programs, Global Technology Services, IBM
Wednesday, Dec 7, Solution Provider Session: 9 am - 10 am, Augustus 1
Cloud computing – What's Real vs. Virtual
Are you fighting a battle of growing resource management costs and shrinking budgets and being asked to move to the cloud? Drive more virtualization than ever before using best practices from virtualizing over 130,000 images in our own data centers. Learn which three advances in technology and software will help you to achieve a significant breakthrough in IT effectiveness, resiliency and security. All while positioning your company to be able to move faster into the cloud.
Speaker Name: Chris Molloy, Distinguished Engineer, Global Technology Services IBM
Wednesday, Dec 7, Lunchtime Speaking Session: 12 pm – 12:30 pm, Octavius 12
Wes Ganeko, System x Sales Executive, North America, IBM
If you're interested in learning more, stop by IBM Booth MM at the Gartner Data Center Conference. Exhbit hours are the following:
Solution Exchange Hours:
Monday, Dec 5:
6:15PM – 8:15PM
Tuesday, Dec 6:
11:45AM – 1:45PM
6:30PM – 8:30PM
Wednesday, Dec 7:
11:45AM – 1:45PM
Look for the IBM Portable Mobile Data Center, the big trailer on the show floor. And take the opportunity to ask IBM Experts at the show your questions about how to increase the efficiency of your data center, and optimize your hardware for greater savings. Make sure to stop by, your session with an IBM Expert is complimentary. Take a tour of the IBM Portable Modular Data Center; a turnkey data center built for any environment for remote, temporary, mobile and raised floor expansion solutions.