Service Management on System z Blog
Fillmore Bowen 120000CYK5 FBOWEN@US.IBM.COM Tags:  tivoli visibility mainframe omegamon 898 Visits
Today, IBM is announcing the latest version of IBM's System z leadership Application and Performance Management family. The IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON Version 5 product family provides new levels of customer focused ease-of-use, cost reduction and improved performance. IBM is announcing new customer capabilities designed to:
· Increase visibility and control with a new standardized user interface capable of viewing enterprise-wide information from a single 3270 monitor
· Improve problem management with fewer, simpler steps to isolate performance impacts in real time for higher system and application availability
· Reduce time and risk involved in installation, configuration, and maintenance using self-describing agents and the new Parmgen tool.
· Decrease costs by exploiting zIIP processors to free-up general System z capacity and lowering total cost of computing
Analysts are already saying good things about this new version.
On OMEGAMON moving to simplified architecture and a common view across multiple domains, Rich Ptak of PNA commented, "This is an important and much needed enhancement. We’ve heard consistently – there is a need for this kind of integration. Consistent interface – a couple of years ago, these people liked to be in a silo and just toss it over to someone else. But, they can’t live that way anymore.” PNA also gave IBM high marks for doing so without losing functionality.
On the OMEGAMON Enhanced 3270 User Interface, Joe Clabby with Clabby Analytics commented: What you've done to your 3270 interface is kind of a "wow"! I'm not a 3270 fan and I love what you've done with it"
Starting with OMEGAMON XE for CICS on z/OS, and OMEGAMON XE on z/OS V5 editions, IBM provides:
· Improved productivity by allowing subject matter experts, such as system programmers, to combine information from z/OS and multiple z/OS subsystems (including CICS) into a single simplified display
· Standardized monitoring and management with an new enhanced 3270 user interface that gives users the ability to effectively move between different z/OS components providing a common look and feel of command and control conditions.
· Increased analytics capability by organizing key performance indicators (KPIs) to be viewed based on managed SLAs.
· Higher availability by providing users with advanced problem determination using focused problem-solving scenarios designed by customers; these scenarios put related data needed for associated problems into context to resolve today's performance and availability impacts.
In addition, the IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON for z/OS Management Suite V4.2.1, a consolidated offering of broad real-time and historical performance and availability management, now includes the new OMEGAMON XE on z/OS, V5.1 and OMEGAMON Dashboard Edition (DE) on z/OS, V5.1.
To learn more, sign-up for the IBM Systems Magazine sponsored OMEGAMON Webcast Series, or attend a IBM 2012 System z Technical Summit at a city near you.
And, plan on attending Pulse, which includes an OMEGAMON V5 Customer Panel, and SHARE to see a demo and talk to the experts.
New Capability: Network Extended Navigator View for OMEGAMON for Mainframe Networks
his Networks_Extended Navigator View was created to simplify the monitoring of z/OS networks through IBM® Tivoli® OMEGAMON XE for Mainframe Networks. Many of these workspaces were created from user experiences to target specific network issues.
Network_Extended Navigator view, inspired by customer experiences, is based on OMEGAMON XE for Mainframe Networks, and optionally Tivoli OMEGAMON XE on z/OS and Tivoli NetView for z/OS. It provides a cross LPAR Enterprise real time view of the z/OS Communications Server network focused on specific application and networking issues.
Why is it so effective?
What's new with Tivoli Storage Management on System z: Save money and time by enhancing your storage capabilities
Date: Tuesday, February 28 2012
Fillmore Bowen 120000CYK5 FBOWEN@US.IBM.COM Tags:  omegamon automation pulse mainframe 1,498 Visits
Pulse 2012 offers more than ever before for the System z community!
Looking forward to four days of top-notch education, Pulse 2012 has a large number of System z focused activities occurring to help increase visibility and improve the automation of your IT
Experience product demos via interactive touchscreen at the System z kiosks in the Expo Hall, including: