What I am about to share here is a true story about Integrated Service Management. I changed the name of the customer to Customer because I didn’t ask permission to use Customer’s real name. So you’ll just have to believe me :oD
Oh, What a Better Web We Need
Once upon a time, Customer needed to test the interoperability of hardware, software, operating systems and customer solution stacks for new product releases. Customer needed to coordinate multiple global teams working on an abundance of machines. With thousands of operating system instances in test, Customer faced an enormous management challenge. Growth over time resulted in homegrown tools from many teams that did not interoperate, making data collection difficult. Visibility into tasks assigned to global teams was limited, and often resulted in duplicate testing and lost productivity. In addition to standardizing tools and improving workload tracking and visibility, Customer sought to automate as many repetitive processes as possible, improving productivity and freeing up engineers for more complex testing work.
Integrated Service Management to the Rescue!
The solution for Customer included a RaTivo integration of Rational Quality Manager (RQM) and Tivoli Provisioning Manager (TPM) to allow automatic provision of test machines with the required test configuration, saving Customer manual work and time from request to provision. Additionally, Customer applied Rational Test Lab Manager and Tivoli Application Discovery and Dependency Manager (TADDM) to discover available test lab machines and display the list in RQM, saving Customer test time as all the information is displayed one tool.
All’s Well that Ends Well
You can’t argue with these results. Customer directly benefited from Integrated Service Management by:
Need to See It to Believe It? Get in on the Action at Innovate 2010.
- Eliminating an estimated 20 percent of testing duplication
Increasing visibility and automation allows better allocation of shared equipment, reducing hardware requests
- Locating available test machines for testing without the need to learn a new tool or collaborate with the operation teams.
- Automating provisioning of new test configurations on available machines, speeding the test cycle.
- Enabling managers to pull their own custom reports, thereby improving visibility and coordination.
Visit these Pedestals showcasing Integrated Service Management at Innovate 2010, June 6-10, 2010.
Enterprise Planning and Transformation for Cloud Deployments using Rational System Architect, Tivoli CCMDB / TADDM
- Proactively diagnose and repair performance issues and prevent outages using RPT, RQM, ITCAM, ITM / OMEGAMON
- Speed up deployment (Dev/Test) with automation using RTLM, SRM, TPM, TADDM
- Improve web security at the application level IBM Tivoli Identity and Access Assurance
Furthermore, you can attend sessions in the Integrated Service Management track
that reveal how to:
Define an effective service strategy
- Develop tools and processes across architecture, development, and operations for faster time to market
- Assure the health and performance of composite applications with faster problem identification and resolution
- Leverage new delivery options like virtualization and cloud
- Improve visibility into business activity and health indicators