This page provides instructions and links to guide you through the install process of the IBM Software Development Kit for PowerLinux. Complete instructions for installation and use can be found in the User's Guide for the IBM SDK for PowerLinux.
If you downloaded the repository initialization RPM, install it by issuing, as root user:
$ rpm -ivh ibm-power-repo-<version>.ppc.rpm
After the installation completes, you can use YUM (RHEL systems) or Zypper/YAST (SLES systems) to download and install the SDK packages:
$ yum install ibm-sdk-lop (RHEL)
$ zypper install ibm-sdk-lop (SLES)
If you downloaded the ISO file, please read the following instructions to help you create, and then use, the DVD for the IBM Software Development Kit for PowerLinux.
Burning a DVD from an ISO image
- If it is not already installed, install the Linux package "dvd+rw-tools". To determine if the package is installed, enter the following command:
rpm -qi dvd+rw-tools
- Download ISO image for the Installation Toolkit for PowerLinux to your Linux system. You must have a DVD-Recorder drive installed on your system.
- Determine the DVD recorder device ID by executing the following command:
hwinfo -cdrom | grep "Device File"
In most cases the output of this command is:
Device File: /dev/sr0 (/dev/hdc)
- Insert a high-quality, blank DVD-R disk into the DVD recorder. Do not use DVD+R, DVD-RW or DVD-RAM.
- Issue the following command:
/usr/bin/growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=<file>
where: <file> is the name of the ISO file.
- You can use a different method to create a DVD from an ISO image. For example, if you have a PC with software that allows the creation of DVD media from an ISO image, then you can use that software to burn a DVD.
- Regardless of the method you use to create a DVD, use high-quality DVD-R media to ensure the best data transfer. Do not use DVD+R, DVD-RM or DVD-RAM media.