The IBM® Installation Toolkit for PowerLinux is a strategic tool for delivering IBM software solutions for PowerLinux servers. It provides an easy and comprehensive web interface for installing the Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server distributions. You can select to automatically install a set of IBM value-added software to unleash the advantages of IBM Power Systems® servers running Linux, such as performance, virtualization, energy management, and reliability, availability and serviceability (RAS). Additional software includes IBM Electronic Service Agent for PowerLinux, pSeries Energy Management Daemon for POWER7®, IBM Advance Toolchain for PowerLinux, IBM Java SDK, several IBM RAS tools, and more.
The IBM Installation Toolkit can be used for running manual DVD installation, as well as network installations using BOOTP/DHCP. It can also be used as a bootable rescue DVD to run diagnostic tools and repair previously installed operating systems. Another feature provided as part of the IBM Installation Toolkit is the Server Consolidation Tool. This tool tackles the most time consuming and error-prone aspects of server consolidation: the migration of the open source stack as well as user and application data.
The IBM Installation Toolkit provides options to migrate additional data, install additional software, and create Logical Partitions (LPAR) on demand, based on the x86 source machine. The IBM Installation Toolkit for PowerLinux is available as a single DVD image, which you can download directly from this website by going to the Download tab.
The IBM Installation Toolkit key benefits include:
Eases Linux installation
- Includes simple wizards to install and configure Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server on Power Systems in just a few steps.
- Works with new and existing configurations. You can reuse disks and partitions.
- Provides easy access to PowerLinux documentation.
- Can be used for running manual DVD and network-based installs.
- Provides a full set of tools for configuring a Network Installation Server.
- Includes a versatile user interface, with support for text and graphical environments: You can run installations by directing a graphical web browser or a Secure SHell (SSH) to the target machine.
Provides additional features
- Supports IBM Power Systems. Refer to the Release Notes for the list of supported hardware.
- Can be used as a bootable rescue DVD.
- Provides an easy to use interface for updating system firmware.
- Provides tools for performing server consolidation.
- Supports the installation of the IBM Advance Toolchain for PowerLinux.
New in Version 5.4
- Support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9
- Support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4
- Support for new IBM POWER7 systems
Supported Linux distributions
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1 and SP2
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP4
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 and 6.4
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.8 and 5.9
The IBM Installation Toolkit ISO image includes:
- Service and productivity tools for PowerLinux.
- Several PowerLinux libraries and applications, such as: nmon, IBM Electronic Service Agent, IBM Performance Manager Monitor, IBM Large Page Analysis tool, and pSeries Energy Management Daemon.
- Recent IBM Java technology.
- PowerLinux servers documentation.