When a return receipt is sent by Lotus Notes to an external user and disclaimers are enabled on the client or server, the return receipt does not include the return receipt body; only the disclaimer is included. This causes confusion with the sender and is thought to be SPAM.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Enable Return Receipts
2. Enable message disclaimers
3. Create and process a mail policy
4. Send an external mail to a user who has the mail policy enabled
5. Open the message in the user's mailfile - a return receipt will be sent.
6. View the message from the external source. Only the disclaimer is present.
Resolving the problem
This issue started in Notes/Domino 8.5.3 and occurs when there is a mail policy present. The disclaimer portion of the policy does not actually have to contain any text, but the problem will still occur if the disclaimers are enabled in the configuration document under the Router/SMTP -> Message Disclaimers tab.
This issue is now fixed in Lotus Notes and Domino 8.5.3 FP2.
Fix details: SPR# TPON8N7DKT
Refer to the Upgrade Central site for details on upgrading Notes/Domino.
As a workaround:
Disable the disclaimer.