Show all | Hide all
Show all | Hide all
zDoop is a distribution of Hadoop for Linux® on System z® that leverages IBM®’s Integrated Facility for Linux (IFLs). Key advantages of zDoop include:
● Provides new Big Data query abilities for System z
● Leverages existing capital and operational investments in System z
● Reduces Big Data incremental infrastructure costs 50-70% versus new infrastructure
● Eliminates costs and risks of offloading data
● Preserves mainframe security and control over sensitive data
● Native System z applications manage data collection from DB2®, IMS™, VSAM and Long Form Sequential Data without cost and complexity of SQL extract, transform and load (ETL) or offloading operations
Big Data refers to data sets that are simply too large for traditional tools to manage. New streams from mobile, sensor networks, social media, and multimedia are rapidly expanding and are often not structured in the traditional form of SQL tables.
zDoop enables customers to tackle and tame Big Data without the risks and complexity of offloading data to a new platform.
Big Data, and zDoop in particular, provide business opportunities for organizations create value and improve efficiency, for IBM® resellers who can enable them, and Service Providers who can offer Big Data as a cloud™ service.
The Big Data market is at an inflection point. 15 of 17 sectors in the US economy have more data stored than the US Library of Congress, and global data is projected to grow at 40% per year. For companies that can take advantage of Big Data, the rewards are large. In just the US health care sector, insights from Big Data are projected to be worth $300 billion. In the retail sector, Big Data insights will help realize up to a 60% increase in operating margins.
* Big Data can make data more accessible to stakeholders, improve organizational communication and coordination, with results like cutting time to market and improving quality.
* zDoop can manage data streams from performance data to baseline performance and enable controlled experiments in processes. The changes in performance data can help understand root causes for better future performance.
* Segmenting customers to tailor products and services to better meet their needs.
* Augmenting decision making with entire datasets from customers, employees and sensors.
* Create new business models, products and services. For example, GPS data has created entirely new services. With zDoop on System z®, Service Providers can offer these capabilities with competitive pricing to new customers as a cloud service.
** For more details, see the McKinsey Global Institute Report, Big Data: The next frontier for innovation, competition, and productivity.
Return on investment
The TCO of zDoop on System z® is lower than Hadoop on distributed x86 solutions:
• Network costs may be 75% less due to virtualization of the cluster
• Floor space requirements may be 1/25th smaller due to virtualization
• Virtual machines may be 60% fewer due to higher resource utilization
• Storage requirements may be 50% less due to greater reliability While the investment is smaller than distributed Hadoop, the return has the same high potential.
While it depends upon the application, in the US health care sector, insights from Big Data are projected to be worth $300 billion. In the retail sector, Big Data insights will help realize up to a 60% increase in operating margins.
For customers with more than 20 TB of data, System Z® will be the platform of choice to enable Big Data solutions due to its security, high availability and competence in quickly processing large amounts of data. Operational advantages of zDoop on System z include:
● Immediate and automated deployment of small, medium and large Hadoop clusters at lowest possible TCO, leveraging the strengths of the z platform
● Up to 60% reduction of storage requirements
● Faster processing time on System z due to shared storage and higher utilization rates
● Reduced management requirements because fewer data nodes are required
● Rapid access to current data from your DB2®, IMS™ or VSAM data on zOS®, without the complexity of SQL-based ETL tools or the challenges of scheduling transfers
● Greater data security and the elimination of the need to transfer the data out of your mainframe
Aerospace & Defense Industry
Automotive OEMs (Manuf of Cars, Light Trucks, Motorbikes)
Distributors, Importers, Retailers
Banking - Global Customer Management
Banking - Other
Chemicals & Petroleum Industry
Chemicals & Life Sciences
Computer Services Industry
Business Recovery Services
Computer Leasing and Rental
Computer Maintenance & Services
Consumer Products Industry
CP - Beverages & Tobacco
CP - Food Manufacturing
CP - General Processing
CP - Household / Health & Beauty
Technology Systems and Microelectronics
Energy & Utilities Industry
Electric and Gas Energy Services Traders
Financial Markets Industry
Financial Markets - Global Customer Management
Financial Markets - Other
Government Central/Federal industry
Defense and National Security
Environ., Transp. & Pub. Works
Finance and Administration
Public Safety and Justice
Government, State/Provincial/Local Industry
Env/Trans/PubWrks, Spec. Dist.
Fin. & Admin, City/Municipal
Fin. & Admin, County/Shire
Fin. & Admin, Special District
Fin. & Admin, State/Prov./Reg.
PS & Justice, City/Municipal
PS & Justice, County/Shire
PS & Justice, Special District
PS & Justice, State/Prov./Reg.
Soc. Services, City/Municipal
Soc. Services, County/Shire
Soc. Services, State/Prov/Reg.
Health Plans / Payors
Integrated Healthcare Systems / Hospitals
Physicians / Clinics
Industrial Products Industry
Fabrication & Assembly
Insurance Carriers - Life & Asset Management (L&AM)
Insurance Carriers - Property & Casualty (P&C)
Other Insurance, N.E.C.
Life Sciences Industry
Media & Entertainment Industry
Printing & Publishing
Professional Services Industry
Marketing & Public Opinion Research
Retail - Apparel Manufacturing
Retail - Department Stores
Retail - Direct Marketing
Retail - Retail Food
Retail - Food Services
Retail - Hard Goods
Retail - Mass Merchants
Retail - Pharmacy/Drug
Retail - Specialty
Travel & Transportation Industry
Freight Forwarders & Arrangers
Global Dist. Systems / CRS
Passenger Water Transportation
Tour Operations and Arrangers
Wholesale Distribution & Services Industry
Wholesale - Food/Food Svc/Drug
Wholesale - General Trading Co.
Wholesale - Non-Durables
Wholesale - Durables
Wholesale - Services
Midmarket Business (100 to 499 employees)
Midmarket Business (500 to 1000 employees)
Large Business (greater than 1000 employees)
Countries/regions available for distribution
Date last modified: Jul 29, 2013