IBM Certified Specialist - System Storage DS8000 Technical Solutions V3
Job Role Description / Target Audience
The DS8000 technical specialist can work independently to provide pre- and post-technical sales support, solution design, and implementation of the DS8000 to meet customer requirements. This specialist has knowledge of selling and supporting the DS8000 in both a mainframe and open systems environment. This specialist can also identify customer requirements, and architect and configure appropriate solutions to meet the requirements, as well as identify customer issues and engage appropriate resources to resolve the issues.
This specialist can perform the following tasks without assistance:
- Compare and contrast the DS8000 to other IBM storage solutions
- Articulate the differences between the DS8000 and competitive solutions in a System z or open systems environment
- Be familiar with general features of current and previous DS8000 systems for purposes of upgrades and compatibility
- Use tools to size and design a configuration that meets requirements
- Use Disk Magic to size a system for performance, and know what input data is required to run an analysis (e.g., different/specific requirements for System z and open systems environment), and interpret the results
- Take pre-sales technical responsibility for the solution through the entire TDA process
- Recommend options for advanced functions relative to open systems, e.g., Global Copy, FlashCopy, Metro Mirror, Global Mirror, Metro/Global Mirror, FlashCopy Manager, VMware, thin provisioning
- Recommend options for advanced functions relative to System z, e.g., z/OS Global Mirror, hyperswap, dataset flashcopy, PAV, zHPF, distributed data backup
- Understand the architecture and options for advanced functions in a common environment, e.g., encryption, tiering, RAS, QoS
- Verify the interoperability of the solution in the customer environment
- Understand and position the integration with PowerHA, Tivoli Storage Productivity Center, FlashCopy Manager, GDPS
- Review the output of a Disk Magic study and recommend the direction for the solution
- Knowledge of the IBM support organization and resources, and where to find assistance when needed
- Understand options availabile for migration and environments where they are applicable
- Have a basic understanding of LSS and how it relates to copy services
This specialist can perform the following tasks with assistance:
- Support the solution
- Develop a migration plan
- Work in heterogeneous operating systems environments, e.g., mainframe and open systems
This specialist can use the following tools and resources:
- IBM Sales Manual
- Relevant IBM Redbooks
- DS8000 Installation and Planning Guide
- System Storage Interoperation Center
- Disk Magic
- Capacity Magic
- Storage Manager
Recommended Prerequisite Skills
12 months experience in a DS8000 pre-sales technical support role
Implement a DS8000 system in an open systems or mainframe environment
Capability to work independently and effectively in complex environments
This certification requires 1 test(s).
Click on the link(s) below to see test details, test objectives, suggested training and sample tests.
Not sure what the Member site is? Find out the benefits of being a certified professional.
Take it Again 2013
Retake an exam for no additional cost with IBM Take It Again Vouchers.
Premium Wallet Card
Receive a premium wallet when you order your Premium Certificate.