IBM System z Mastery test: Student information
Students who are enrolled full-time or part-time at an IBM Academic Initiative member school are eligible to take the IBM System z Mastery test at no charge!
To prepare for the test, take a mainframe enterprise computing course at your school, such as Introduction to Enterprise Systems (or its equivalent). We strongly advise that you also prepare for the test through self-study, because your instructor might not cover all the material for the test.
Note: In India, this voucher offer is only open to students who are studying Enterprise Computing in Academic Initiative member schools or who have done Remote Mentoring projects on Enterprise Computing with IBM India in 2015. All applicants should have completed the Mainframe Basics Workshop. All requests for vouchers will be reviewed for approval.
Learn the material through self-study
- Read the IBM System z Mastery test objectives.
- Download the student textbook and course materials, and study them at your own pace. The System z Mastery test is based on the Introduction to the New Mainframe: z/OS Basics student textbook. It is strongly recommended that you thoroughly review this textbook before taking the exam.
Register for the System z Mastery test
You must take the test in person at an authorized Pearson VUE test center. There are over 5000 authorized centers around the world. In order to register to take the test at one of these centers, you will need a test voucher. Follow these instructions:
- Complete the
registration form to request a test voucher number.
You must complete this step to take the test at no charge.
The Academic Initiative team will review your request and send you a voucher number that you can use to register to take the test at no charge. The voucher number assigned to you is non-transferable. You have 60 days to redeem this voucher at a Pearson VUE test center. However, all vouchers issued in the months of November and December must be redeemed at a Pearson VUE location by December 31.
- Locate a test center at the Pearson VUE website.
- Select your country, and then select test P4070-005 IBM System z and z/OS Fundamentals Mastery under STG Technical Mastery.
- Register to take the test at your choice of authorized testing centers (in the list). If you have an existing Pearson VUE ID, use the same ID to register for the test. In the payment section, supply the eVoucher number you received in Step 1.
Take the test
- Arrive and sign-in at the testing center. You should arrive 15 minutes prior to the scheduled test time. Bring two forms of identification: one must have a photo and the other must have a signature. Examples include a driver's license (photo) and a credit card (signature).
- Get your results. You will receive a full score report with section analyses at the conclusion of the test. You can retrieve your score report information at any time. The score report is evidence that you passed the IBM System z Mastery test.
- Bask in the glory, and update your resume!
Contact IBM Academic Initiative
Contact the z Systems academic team
Help spread the word
Print these flyers and post them at your school.