Over 1,700 Chief Marketing Officers shared their insights on the fundamental shifts transforming business and the world.
Face-to-face interviews with CMOs from large and midsized companies, across 19 Industries and 64 countries, revealed some new realities for all CMOs:
- The empowered customer is now in control of the business relationship
- Delivering customer value is paramount–and an organization's behavior is as important as the products and services it provides
- The pressure to be accountable is not just a symptom of hard times, but a permanent shift that requires new approaches, tools and skills
However, there was an overwhelming consensus that there are three key areas for improvement. CMOs must:
- Understand and deliver value to empowered customers
- Create lasting relationships with those customers
- Measure marketing's contribution in relevant, quantifiable terms.